[comp.sys.hp] HP86B information sought

@sequent.com (Robert Kelley) (06/01/91)

I just acquired 2 of these devices for $15,
one of them works.  From what I can determine,
they speak Basic and seem to have about 128K ram.

Specific questions:

	Anything noteworthy about the BASIC?
	Processor?
	Machine language escape mechanism?
	What does the DIP switch do?
	What are the video specifications?
	(why does every monitor I've tried
	 seem to overscan so much?  Can I
	 adjust for this somehow?)

Any more information or general comments would
be appreciated.

Robert Kelley
rjk@sequent.com

gvg@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Greg Goebel) (06/02/91)

>   	Anything noteworthy about the BASIC?

Not to rude, but rather vague question ... control-oriented BASIC.

>   	Processor?

Custom, basically a BCD-oriented calculator chip.

>   	Machine language escape mechanism?

Assembler ROM, hard to get ahold of these days.

>   	What does the DIP switch do?

HPIB addressing functions mostly.

>   	What are the video specifications?
>   	(why does every monitor I've tried
>   	 seem to overscan so much?  Can I
>   	 adjust for this somehow?)

Off-the-wall, this was designed in the old HP where we always reinvented the
wheel ... it's completely nonstandard timing.

>   Robert Kelley
>   rjk@sequent.com

If you have more questions, email me ... I am the last surviving Series-80
support person in HP.

Wile E. Coyote
|                               DISCLAIMER                                   |
|   Who cares what I think?  I don't take MYSELF seriously, why should you?  |
| Greg Goebel                             NET:     gvg@hpislx                |
| Hewlett-Packard                         HP DESK: gvg(hpislx) / HP0900 / UX |
| MSO Marketing                           PHONE:   Telnet/303 679-3424       |
| POB 301 / MS-CU312 / Loveland CO 80539  FAX:     Telnet/303 679-5957       |

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/04/91)

@sequent.com (Robert Kelley) writes:

>I just acquired 2 of these devices for $15,
>one of them works.  From what I can determine,
>they speak Basic and seem to have about 128K ram.

>Specific questions:

>	Anything noteworthy about the BASIC?
>	Processor?
>	Machine language escape mechanism?
>	What does the DIP switch do?
>	What are the video specifications?
>	(why does every monitor I've tried
>	 seem to overscan so much?  Can I
>	 adjust for this somehow?)

I recall that the HP-86 had a BASIC language quite similar to the
HP-75C, which was a fairly nice BASIC from a numerics point of view.
There was an Advanced Programming ROM that extended the BASIC with
matrix manipulation stuff, etc.

I never had one, but I had a friend who had one--sorry I don't know
anything about the various hardware questions you raise above...

gvg@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Greg Goebel) (06/05/91)

> If you have more questions, email me ... I am the last surviving Series-80
> support person in HP.

This remark seems to have annoyed some of our HP field people ... allow me to
clarify: I am last person in HP whose job description specifically states
"takes care of Series-80".  Of course, there are dozens of field SEs out there
who are very familiar with the product and still occasionally deal with it.