From cortesi@informix.com Wed May 29 12:48:58 1991
From: cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi)
Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 19:48:58 GMT
Subject: Re: SIMMS for LaserJet IIIsi.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp,comp.periphs.printers
Sender: cortesi@informix.com
Followup-to: comp.sys.hp

In article <see-References> logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Rob Logie) writes:
>I am about to get a HP LaserJet IIIsi printer and I believe that it
>uses SIMMS for memory.

It does. Appendix G of the manual tells the user how to install
SIMMs. The sockets are behind the right-hand-side cover.  The SIMMs
can be 1M or 4M, and these sizes can be mixed. I don't have access
to the manual now so can't tell you how many SIMMs it can hold.

>Does any one know what type of SIMMS it uses and how many it can take.

I too would like an answer to this question! The manual was
unspecific.  An HP serviceperson has advised our MIS department
that the SIMMs must be obtained from HP, that they are *not* the
standard sort one can buy from many sources.  This seems remarkable,
and I would very much appreciate independent confirmation!

>Also does it need any special memory boards to mount them in etc.

The line-drawings in Appendix G make it clear that one simply snaps
the SIMMs into the sockets.

>Thanks,

S'nothin'

cortesi@informix.com

From mca@medicus.com Sat Jun  1 16:50:33 1991
From: mca@medicus.com (Mark Adams)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1991 23:50:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Re: SIMMS for LaserJet IIIsi.
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers

cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi) writes:

>In article <see-References> logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Rob Logie) writes:
>>Does any one know what type of SIMMS it uses and how many it can take.
>
>I too would like an answer to this question! The manual was
>unspecific.  An HP serviceperson has advised our MIS department
>that the SIMMs must be obtained from HP, that they are *not* the
>standard sort one can buy from many sources.  This seems remarkable,
>and I would very much appreciate independent confirmation!

The 4 Mb SIMM for the LaserJet IIISi is the same as the 4 Mb SIMM
for a Sun SLC. (At least, we're using a third-party SLC SIMM in
our IIISi and it seems to be working. :-) ) It's true that it's
not the common "standard sort" that's used in most IBM PC clones.

The printer has 4 SIMM slots.

Mark

Mark Adams                                         Medicus Systems Corporation
mca@medicus.com                                          Clinical Data Systems
{uunet,sun!rtech,unisoft}!medicus!mca                      Alameda, California

k@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Steve Kao) (06/07/91)

I found this in comp.periphs.printers.  Note that with 1 Mb installed
and up to 4 SIMMS of 4 Mb each, the III si can have up to 17 Mb of RAM.
- Steve Kao
From mca@medicus.com Sat Jun  1 16:50:33 1991
From: mca@medicus.com (Mark Adams)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1991 23:50:33 GMT