[comp.sys.hp] HP-UX ram requirements

sz0h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stanley Zin) (06/06/91)

I am about to purchase an HP730 and need to know how much ram
to get.  That is, is the 16meg standard package "large" relative
to the amount used by HP-UX?  Any info on this would be greatly
appreciated.

campbelr@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (06/07/91)

> I am about to purchase an HP730 and need to know how much ram
> to get.  That is, is the 16meg standard package "large" relative
> to the amount used by HP-UX?  Any info on this would be greatly
> appreciated.

What do you plan on using the system for?
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

tt@euler.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (06/07/91)

In article <gcHYTsy00UzxI1I0ZO@andrew.cmu.edu> sz0h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stanley Zin) writes:

>I am about to purchase an HP730 and need to know how much ram
>to get.  That is, is the 16meg standard package "large" relative
>to the amount used by HP-UX?  Any info on this would be greatly
>appreciated.

Here's an algorithm for determining how much RAM you need (for any
HP9000 machine):

1. Ask HP's sales rep what he recommends.

2. Double it.

3. Ask how much the extra RAM costs.

4. After recovering, go to your boss or whoever holds the purse strings.
   Explain, beg, etc.

5. Did you get the money?  If yes, go to step 2.

6. Did you iterate steps 2-5 at least three times?  If not, buy a Sun.

7. It isn't enough anyway.

Seriously, 16M is usable for one-person use, but not a lot even then.
Get at least 32M.  (Assuming you want to run X11, VUE &c.  If you only
intend to run some applications on bare HP-UX 16M may be plenty.)

(The RISC machines appear to be more memory-hungry than the 68k series.
A 9000/3xx or 4xx with 16M is reasonable though a bit memory-tight as a
single-user workstation.  With 8M it's usable if you can run all
your programs in other machines, i.e., use the workstation as
an X-terminal.)
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)