[comp.sys.hp] 8 mm EXABYTE on HP 835?

peter@astol.astro.lu.se (Peter Linde) (05/29/91)

We are  interested  in connecting an EXABYTE drive to our HP 835 system.
One reason for choosing EXABYTE is for  transporting  data to institutes
that already have such devices.  We are aware of some companies that can
provide HP-IB  interfaces  for such drives, but it seems both costly and
inefficient.  Now SCSI is becoming  available for the 835 (following the
HP-UX 8.0 release),  consequently EXABYTEs should be possible to connect
directly, providing a suitable driver can be found.  Also, SCSI has been
around on 300s for a long time, are there any EXABYTES connected to such
machines?  Or  do  we  all  have  to  switch  to 4 mm  DAT  drives?  Any
illuminating information is welcome.

Peter Linde

Peter Linde                  Tel:       +46-46-104701
Lund Observatory             E-mail:    peter@astro.lu.se  (Internet)
Box 43                       Fax:       +46+46-104614
S-221 00 Lund
Sweden

cochran@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Bob Cochran) (06/01/91)

The 8.0 SCSI tape driver (tape14.c) does not support EXABYTE drives, although
the first tape drive it worked on was an EXABYTE.  The code that permitted
simple I/Os to EXABYTE still exists in the source product and is disabled
via "#ifdef EXABYTE" statements.

se@IKP.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser) (06/05/91)

In article <67870030@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>, cochran@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Bob Cochran) writes:
|> The 8.0 SCSI tape driver (tape14.c) does not support EXABYTE drives, although
|> the first tape drive it worked on was an EXABYTE.  The code that permitted
|> simple I/Os to EXABYTE still exists in the source product and is disabled
|> via "#ifdef EXABYTE" statements.

That's ridicolous!

We collect all data from our experiments on EXABYTEs, as do lots of other
nuclear physics institutes (we collect typically 50GByte/week).

I remember SCSI for our HP 9000/835 'becoming available' within few month,
several times over the last 2 years. It took HP more than 1 year to completely
deliver the ordered hardware. We urgently needed SCSI, and when it became
obvious it wouldn't be available soon, HP suggested buying a 9000/3xx with
SCSI and accessing the peripherals via ethernet!

After learning that even HP-UX 8.0 doesn't support variable sized partitions
and now, that the EXABYTE won't work, it has become obvious, that HP is
unable (or unwilling) to deliver what we NEED. It seems to be a specialty
of HP, to know their customers' needs better than the customers themselves.
Even if HP considers DAT the better choice, I want the freedom to buy and
use the drives that *read my data*.

Not being able to use EXABYTEs means
- further upgrades of our 9000/835 are useless
- we can't use the else very impressive 9000/700s.

I don't doubt, that the 9000/700 will sell well. But I very much doubt, that HP
will stop loosing market share, the way they ignore customers' needs.

Stefan
--
 Stefan Esser,  Institute of Nuclear Physics,  University of Cologne,  Germany
 se@IKP.Uni-Koeln.DE                                           [134.95.192.50]

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.145748.110969@rrz.uni-koeln.de> se@IKP.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser) writes:
>In article <67870030@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>, cochran@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Bob Cochran) writes:
>After learning that even HP-UX 8.0 doesn't support variable sized partitions
>and now, that the EXABYTE won't work, it has become obvious, that HP is
>unable (or unwilling) to deliver what we NEED. It seems to be a specialty
>of HP, to know their customers' needs better than the customers themselves.
>Even if HP considers DAT the better choice, I want the freedom to buy and
>use the drives that *read my data*.

  I agree.  At some meetings with HP about 1 1/2 years ago I asked when they
were going to support Exabytes.  They said they had no plans unless their cus
tomers demanded it.  I immediately demanded it.  They still don't support it.

>Not being able to use EXABYTEs means
>- further upgrades of our 9000/835 are useless
>- we can't use the else very impressive 9000/700s.

 - I can't backup 2.2 - 5 Gb of data unattended.
>I don't doubt, that the 9000/700 will sell well. But I very much doubt, that HP
>will stop loosing market share, the way they ignore customers' needs.

   Do any of the third party suppliers hav support for the PA machines?  I used
drivers from Perfect Byte on our 300's with very good results. I never quite
succeeded in figuring out the all the bits on the minor number for the
unsupported scsi tape driver.

I think everyone should tell HP that they need support for Exabytes.  If they
don't get it, we'll go out and buy a Sun or Dec to hang it off. (I just
happen to know that Exabytes work on those machines right out of the box).

>Stefan
>--
> Stefan Esser,  Institute of Nuclear Physics,  University of Cologne,  Germany
> se@IKP.Uni-Koeln.DE                                           [134.95.192.50]

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401

hm@hcshh.hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis) (06/08/91)

In <1991Jun5.155022.3843@cs.umn.edu> ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) writes:

>Do any of the third party suppliers have support for the PA machines?

Yes, there is an Exabyte Tape-drive available which connects to the HPIB-Bus
using a HP7974 or DAT-Tape emulation for 2,5 or 5 Gb Exabytes.
Please mail for further details.

>I think everyone should tell HP that they need support for Exabytes.

I think that this is not the point. What you (and everyone else out there..)
need is an __OPEN__, __WELL-DOCUMENTED__ and __SUPPORTED__ SCSI-Bus on the
HP-PA Machines !

Still waiting for SCSI....
hellmuth
Hellmuth Michaelis    HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH   Hamburg, Europe
e-mail: hm@hcshh.hcs.de        tel: +49 40 5501075         fax: +49 40 5591486

Hellmuth Michaelis    HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH   Hamburg, Europe
e-mail: hm@hcshh.hcs.de        tel: +49 40 5501075         fax: +49 40 5591486

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/11/91)

I saw thjis a few days ago ...
are we going to get loops upon loops from "Fidonet"?
Can someone put a stop to this?

Greetings,
Hardy
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET