[comp.sys.hp] Converting BDAT files to ASCII

gill@mars.m2c.org (Robert Gill) (06/11/91)

Hi all, it's me again...

Part two of my on going problem is that I need to be able to convert the
BDAT files I get from BASIC into ASCII.  I don't care if I have to do the
conversion under BASIC or HP-UX (though HP-UX would be nice).  Any
suggestions???

The idea is to convert the stuff to ASCII, load it onto a VMS machine,
convert the ASCII into a table that can be read by RS/1 (a statistical
package) by BBN, and finally, read the stuff into RS/1 and get meaningful
results from it.

For whatever reason this whole project is mine, even though I only have a
passing knowledge of VMS, only just began to use HP-UX, and have never used
HP BASIC or BBN's RS/1.  But hey, it's a learning experience, right? :-)

My great appreciation to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Bob
Robert W. Gill (gill@odin.m2c.org)  --------  Mass. Microelectronics Center

"Life would be so much simpler if closet doors were made illegal."
Disclaimer:  They're my thoughts, I think.

thevenaz@methp1.epfl.ch (06/12/91)

In article <6471@m2c.M2C.ORG>, gill@mars.m2c.org (Robert Gill) writes:

> Part two of my on going problem is that I need to be able to convert the
> BDAT files I get from BASIC into ASCII.  I don't care if I have to do the
> conversion under BASIC or HP-UX (though HP-UX would be nice).  Any
> suggestions???

I developped a simple HP-UX filter to perform this task. E-mail to me if you are
interested in a copy. Unfortunately I am not sure it is free of bugs but it
properly works in most situations.

--
Luc Thevenaz              E-mail: thevenaz@methp1.epfl.ch

    EEEEEEEE  PPPPPP    FFFFFFFF  LL    \  |  /
   EE        PP    PP  FF        LL      \ | /
  EEEEEEEE  PPPPPPP   FFFFF     LL     --- X -----------------
 EE        PP        FF        LL        / | \
EEEEEEEE  PP        FF        LLLLLLLL  /  |  \

        EPFL Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
       DE - Metrology Laboratory
      CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland