[comp.sys.hp] parallel port on Series 400 machine

jack@sitename (Tom Rodriguez) (06/12/91)

	We have a series 400 HP workstation that we want to connect a
laserjet III to.  The laserjet can use a serial or parallel port and
the HP has a DB-25 port on the back labeled parallel.  However, there
appears to no documentation on how to use a parallel port on it
machine, i.e. major and minor device numbers.  Can i use the parallel
port with the printer or am i screwed by HP once again?  Thanks for
any help.

	tom
--
Tom Rodriguez  -- jack@cc.gatech.edu   	            Multimedia Computing Group
Georgia Institute of Technology		              Software Research Center

robs@hpuamsa.neth.hp.com (Rob Slotemaker CRC) (06/12/91)

The kernel driver for the parallel port is a separate product. For new systems
option 012 adds this product to the system. When /etc/filesets/PARALLEL exists,
you probably have the product already. When you don't have the product,
please contact your local Sales Rep.

Instructions for adding the driver to the kernel and creating device files are
given in /etc/newconfig/KDRIVERS/README.P. Good luck with the installation.

Best regards,

Rob Slotemaker, Dutch CRC

spinkert@copper.denver.colorado.edu (Scott Pinkerton) (06/12/91)

In article <31143@hydra.gatech.EDU> jack@cc.gatech.edu (Tom Rodriguez) writes:

>	We have a series 400 HP workstation that we want to connect a
>laserjet III to.  The laserjet can use a serial or parallel port and
>the HP has a DB-25 port on the back labeled parallel.  However, there
>appears to no documentation on how to use a parallel port on it
>machine, i.e. major and minor device numbers.  Can i use the parallel
>port with the printer or am i screwed by HP once again?  Thanks for
>any help.

We have four HP9000/380's running HP-UX 7.05.  Two of those machines are
using the parallel port with printers.  The first is connected to an HP
Laserjet 2000, and the device file for it is configured as follows:

crw-r--r--   1 lp       lp        21 0x170000 t4fsa-gw  Jun 12 10:14 lp_2000

The other machine has a Laserjet III with postscript cartridge connected to
it, and it has an identical device file.

Note:  in order to make the parallel port operational, you must insure (rebuild)
that your kernel has parallel configured in from the dfile.

Hope this helps,

*  Scott Pinkerton							     *

rjn@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (06/13/91)

re: > jack@sitename (Tom Rodriguez) writes...

> We have a series 400 HP workstation that we want to connect a laserjet III
> to.  Can i use the parallel port with the printer or am i screwed by HP
> once again?  Thanks for any help.

The parallel port is fully supported in HP-UX 8.0.  If you have 7.0 or 7.03,
I have a shar available which contains the necessary bits and documentation.
If you have 7.05, you already have the bits, but the shar is useful for the
documentation.

Ask your local HP support representative for a copy.  If they don't have it,
have them contact me.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      Internet: rjn@FC.HP.COM               3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn     Ft Collins CO 80525-9599