[comp.sys.hp] Looking for Postscript Interpreter

wightman@spot.Colorado.EDU (WIGHTMAN MICHAEL P) (06/10/91)

We have a number of HP9000 Series 300 machines running HP-UX 7.05, and we have
a number of applications which are generating postscript output.  Unfortunately
not all of the applications allow pre-viewing of their output on the screen.
Hence we spend a lot of time printing large postscript files, possibly
unecessarily.

I recently came across a Postscript Interpreter, written by Crisping Goswell,
which was posted to comp.sources.unix.  This package seems to provide a very
nice postscript interpreter, and also provides support for X11 pre-viewing.
My question is, has anyone gone to the trouble of getting this running on an
HP9000 ?  All of the documentation talks to running on Suns (2 & 3) under
suntools.  Anyone aware of this program (or others) which are running under
HP-UX ??

---
Scott Pinkerton
spinkert@copper.denver.colorado.edu

kk@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Konstantinos Konstantinides) (06/11/91)

Have you tried Ghostscript? It supports previewing under X11

ninstall -pvhhpsadle.hp.com -P2150 GS2-1-1

K. Konstantinides

darrylo@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Darryl Okahata) (06/11/91)

In comp.sys.hp, kk@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Konstantinos Konstantinides) writes:

> Have you tried Ghostscript? It supports previewing under X11

     This is a good suggestion.  However ...

> ninstall -pvhhpsadle.hp.com -P2150 GS2-1-1

     Before everyone says, "Huh???", I would like to point out/explain
that the above command will only work for Hewlett-Packard entities
because:

1. The above command is an HP internal (unreleased) tool for
   distributing software.  (Please don't ask me for a copy, as I can't
   do that.)

2. Accessing "hpsadle.hp.com" requires access to HP's internal closed
   subnet.  Due to security reasons, HP's internal internet is not
   accessible to the outside world.

If anyone wants a copy of ghostscript, it's best if they obtain a copy
via anonymous ftp to prep.ai.mit.edu (look in the directory /pub/gnu).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo%sr@relay.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

kjc@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.163355.18090@colorado.edu>, wightman@spot.Colorado.EDU (WIGHTMAN MICHAEL P) writes:
> We have a number of HP9000 Series 300 machines running HP-UX 7.05, and we have
> a number of applications which are generating postscript output.  Unfortunately
> not all of the applications allow pre-viewing of their output on the screen.
> Hence we spend a lot of time printing large postscript files, possibly
> unecessarily.
>
> I recently came across a Postscript Interpreter, written by Crisping Goswell,
> which was posted to comp.sources.unix.  This package seems to provide a very
> nice postscript interpreter, and also provides support for X11 pre-viewing.
> My question is, has anyone gone to the trouble of getting this running on an
> HP9000 ?  All of the documentation talks to running on Suns (2 & 3) under
> suntools.  Anyone aware of this program (or others) which are running under
> HP-UX ??
>
> ---
> Scott Pinkerton
> spinkert@copper.denver.colorado.edu

I think the package you refer to is called xps - its OK but is pretty old now.
We used it for a while but we now prefer Ghostscript (GNU Postscript) -
Ghostscript handles Postscript files that use to break xps. Ghostscript will
allow you to preview your files under X11 and there's even a filter to convert
Postscript to LaserJet output.

Ghostscript is available via ftp from many archive sites such as uunet.uu.net
usually under the pub/gnu directory (or similar). From memory it compiles
under HP-UX without too much (if any) difficulty.

Regards,

Kenny Chan

email: kjc@uk.ac.liv.cs.and

postal: Kenneth Chan