[comp.sys.hp] modem control on /dev/cul00 on hp9000s300 ..

mtranle@paris.IntelliCorp.COM (Minh TranLe/65535) (06/10/91)

Hi,
I am trying to hook up a telebit T2500 to the modem port of a mux
on an hp9000s300. The modem port does not seems to have the RTS/CTS
signals enabled.

Does anybody knows how I can enable the modem control on /dev/cul00
so that uucp can use it.

Thanks,
Minh TranLe.

nico@Micrognosis.Los-Gatos.CA.US (Speaker-to-Workstations) (06/13/91)

In article <mtranle.676497907@paris> mtranle@paris.IntelliCorp.COM (Minh TranLe/65535) writes:

>Hi,
>I am trying to hook up a telebit T2500 to the modem port of a mux
>on an hp9000s300. The modem port does not seems to have the RTS/CTS
>signals enabled.
>
>Does anybody knows how I can enable the modem control on /dev/cul00
>so that uucp can use it.

I have an hp9000s318m, effectively like an hp9000s320, and use the modem
control lines on the serial port. The serial port is an HP98644A at select
code 9, not 0 (as yours appears to be). To make it work correctly, ensure
the major number of the device (/dev/cul00) is 1 and the minor number is
0x09000C. The last hex digit of the minor number ("C", in this case) is
bit encoded as follows:

Bits 3 2 1 0				0		1
     | | | +---> direction:		dial in		dial out
     | | +-----> modem protocol:	US		CCITT (Europe)
     | +-------> line:            	modem		direct
     +---------> CTS handshake:		disabled	enabled

The value "C" specifies dial in, US modem protocol, direct line and CTS
enabled. For more info, see p167 System Admin Manual (HP-UX 6.0).

Hope this helps,
Nico
--
 nico@micrognosis.los-gatos.ca.us

 "Don't try to out-weird me, I get stranger things than you free
    with my breakfast cereal" - Z. Beeblebrox