[comp.sys.hp] HP3000/9xx Software Wanted

cocoiii@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (06/05/91)

     Hello, I am looking for the source to GREP, and AWK for MPE-XL.
Right now, we have working versions of both on our HP3000, but if a
major operating system change occurs, it could stop.  We use both of
these extensively, and would like to be able to recompile if
necessary.  We don't want to change the source, only have it for the
future if something changes in the OS.  We would also like to know if
these is a C++ compiler anywhere for the HP3000.  Any replies would be
appreciated.

                              John C. Vestal

*  cocoiii@catt.ncsu.edu  Phone: (919) 831-2890      North Carolina State    *
*  John Vestal   P.O. Box 21537   Raleigh, NC 27607        University        *

dhandly@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Dennis Handly) (06/08/91)

>/ cocoiii@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu /  2:39 pm  Jun  4, 1991 /
>Right now, we have working versions of both on our HP3000, but if a
>major operating system change occurs, it could stop.
>only have it for the future if something changes in the OS.

Usually on MPE, OS changes never cause (correct) working programs to fail.

Some customers have programs > 10 years old that continue to work.

(but anything can happen, and does.  :-)

knechod%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Kevin Nechodom) (06/11/91)

In article <48580033@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com> dhandly@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Dennis Handly) writes:
>>/ cocoiii@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu /  2:39 pm  Jun  4, 1991 /
>>Right now, we have working versions of both on our HP3000, but if a
>>major operating system change occurs, it could stop.
>>only have it for the future if something changes in the OS.
>
>Usually on MPE, OS changes never cause (correct) working programs to fail.
>
>Some customers have programs > 10 years old that continue to work.
>
>(but anything can happen, and does.  :-)

I have two experiences that may be considered relevant.
1)  I have a Fortran program running for which I have lost the source code.
    I have gone through at least three (soon to be four) OS updates with no
    problems whatsoever.  However, it is small.

2)  I use to run SPSS 9.X on my MPE V Series 48.  After some updates, I would
    get stack overflows.  SPSS supplied routines for sizing their own stack
    requirements, so I was easily able to recover.

From this, I conclude:  a) HP does an excellent job of maintaining
compatibility, unless b) you are running at the limits of your stack space.

With that said, I also note that you are talking about an MPE-XL machine, which
should not even have that problem.

Hope it helps.

Kevin Nechodom
University of Utah CSSRD
nechodom@cc.utah.edu
I am disclaimed.

stachnik@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (George Stachnik) (06/13/91)

/ hpcupt1:comp.sys.hp / knechod%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Kevin Nechodom) /  7:46 am  Jun 11, 1991 /

>Usually on MPE, OS changes never cause (correct) working programs to fail.
>Some customers have programs > 10 years old that continue to work.
>(but anything can happen, and does.  :-)

>From this, I conclude:  a) HP does an excellent job of maintaining
>compatibility, unless b) you are running at the limits of your stack space.
I'd concur with the opinion that most MPE applications survive ordinary
O/S updates with no problems.  Most MPE customers have come to expect that.
This is due in part to the nature of the O/S (a very robust and stable set of
APIs) and due in part to the nature of the applications, which are written
with the objective of having a long "shelf life" - [not always the case with
unix applications IMHO.

Also, the stack overflow problems that were common on MPE V machines have
all but vanished with MPE XL.  The native mode stack on XL is HUGE compared
to the relatively tiny 64k stack permitted on MPE V.  So it's harder to
overflow.  It can be done, but it takes a pretty determined effort. :^).

berry@socrates.umd.edu (Joseph Berry ) (06/13/91)

cocoiii@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu writes:

>     Hello, I am looking for the source to GREP, and AWK for MPE-XL.
>Right now, we have working versions of both on our HP3000, but if a
>major operating system change occurs, it could stop.  We use both of
>these extensively, and would like to be able to recompile if
>necessary.  We don't want to change the source, only have it for the
>future if something changes in the OS.  We would also like to know if
>these is a C++ compiler anywhere for the HP3000.  Any replies would be
>appreciated.

>                              John C. Vestal

John, source code to grep and awk are available from a number of different
sources. Two that come to mind are (1) FSF (the makers of gnu); and (2)
I believe I've seen public domain versions on CompuServe.

Regarding your C++ question, HP has not yet come out with one (I don't even
know if they've started writing a C++ compiler).  However, a company called
CCSC has both C and C++ compilers available for the XL systems. I'm familiar
with their C compiler from the classic HP3000. Very nice product.

Joe Berry
joe@ssgltd.com