[comp.sys.hp] Comparison of HP and Sun

knechod%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Kevin Nechodom) (06/04/91)

HELP!!!

My department has at least 3 independent systems on Sun, and I am wanting an
HP 730.  I have put together a system of one 730 server and two of the new
700/RX monochrome X-terminals for about the same cost as 1 Sun SparcStation 2
and 2 IPC's.  The HP system would have about 1G on two disks (1 controller),
while the Sun system would have about 1.3G on two disks and 200Mb locally on
each workstation.

I have Sun telling me that X-terminals are not good for a development
environment, and that binary compatibility between all workstations is a
Good Thing.  Hanging X-terminals will degrade performance for everyone on a big
run, while a separate workstation will not.

I have HP telling me that even loading down the server with two X-terminals
would not bring the performance down to the SS2, and definitely not down to
the IPC's.  They have also told me that there is no big deal having a
workstation with a CISC chip running off a RISC server, and I could put some
of their recently announced 425's if I really wanted local workstations.

I anticipate mostly database (don't know what yet) and stats (probably SAS)
applications.  I have been told that Sparc floating point is abysmal, but that
DB and stats are mostly I/O intensive, and Sun is better than HP for I/O.

My boss would like a good level of cooperation within the department, and it
seems that buying Sun would do that.

My own biases are towards HP.  We have been an HP3000 customer for over 11
years, and I have been very happy with their machinery and support.  I chuckled
to myself about HPUX 8.05 getting shared libraries, because I have been using
them since Day 1.

What a quandrary!  What am I missing?  I'm running a 2 minute drill here, but
I hate making snap decisions!  I am open to any and all comments (notice the
cross-posting).

Kevin Nechodom
University of Utah
CSSRD/STACC
(801) 581-6410
nechodom@cc.utah.edu
Disclaimer I:   I know nothing about my ideas.
Disclaimer II:  The University knows nothing about my ideas.
ergo:           I and the University are one.

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (06/06/91)

>..., and Sun is better than HP for I/O.

I'd have to question this assumption.  The 730 is not your grandfather's
HP.  The rumor I've heard that the 720 performs very well against SS2 in
the SAS demo, somewhere >2X.  Your HP Rep should have the real
information.  If he doesn't, he should call the factory.

The LAN traffic generated by X fairly minimal when compared to other LAN
operations.  Your mileage may vary, but X has never been a LAN hog on my
cable.  Booting 720 diskless off another 720 is 5 seconds of hell.

>My boss would like a good level of cooperation within the department, and it
>seems that buying Sun would do that.

It is true that ((HP-UX != SunOS) && (HP-UX != BSD)).  You have to weigh
the disadvantages of being multilingual against the performance advantage
of the 730.

Perry Scott
HP Ft Collins

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine only, they do not
represent an official or un-official statement of the Hewlett-Packard
Company.

kev@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Kevin Jones) (06/06/91)

> Sun is better than HP for I/O.

See the MAY 1991 edition of UNIX REVIEW -  Miller Freeman publications.
It contains a report on the 9000/730CRX, with comparitive data for
the SPARCII, IBM + others. Their I/O benchmark (which isn't all that
extensive, but at least its independant) indicates performance of
the Snake is 50% better than the SPARCII. There's also comparitive
data on MIPS/FLOPS/*Stones etc....

Kevin Jones.                       | Hewlett Packard Ltd,
kev%hpcpbla@hplb.hpl.hp.com        | Filton Road,
                                   | Stoke Gifford,
Tel: 011 44 272 799910 (ext 22351) | Bristol.   BS12 6QZ.
                                   | ENGLAND.

This response does not represent the official position of, or
statement by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is
provided for informational purposes only. It is supplied
without warranty of any kind.

bcripe@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Brian E. Cripe) (06/08/91)

> Hanging X-terminals will degrade performance for everyone on a big
> run, while a separate workstation will not.

This week at Xhibition I attended a panel on workstations vs. X-terminals.
Somebody from HP said that their data shows <1% LAN loading per X-terminal
and sombody from Tektronix said their studies show 0.5% LAN loading
per X-terminal.  Everybody agreed that the most common limiting factor
for X-terminal performance is the amount of RAM in the host system.

	Brian Cripe
	Hewlett-Packard

Noel Maddy <YTHNMADD@MTUS5.BITNET> (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun4.164957.10585@hellgate.utah.edu>,
knechod%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Kevin Nechodom) says:

..
>I anticipate mostly database (don't know what yet) and stats (probably SAS)
>applications.  I have been told that Sparc floating point is abysmal, but that
>DB and stats are mostly I/O intensive, and Sun is better than HP for I/O.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually, I believe SAS (and probably most other stat packages??) always
uses floating point internally, even if the number is an integer.  This would
make floating-point performance a larger criterion.

..

--
Noel Maddy                  ythnmadd@mtus5.bitnet

nenaas@ulrik.uio.no (Nils-Eivind Naas) (06/17/91)

In article <91165.115530YTHNMADD@MTUS5.BITNET> YTHNMADD@MTUS5.BITNET (Noel Maddy) writes:

   In article <1991Jun4.164957.10585@hellgate.utah.edu>,
   knechod%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Kevin Nechodom) says:

   ..
   >I anticipate mostly database (don't know what yet) and stats (probably SAS)
   >applications.  I have been told that Sparc floating point is abysmal, but that
   >DB and stats are mostly I/O intensive, and Sun is better than HP for I/O.
	   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   Actually, I believe SAS (and probably most other stat packages??) always
   uses floating point internally, even if the number is an integer.  This would
   make floating-point performance a larger criterion.

In fact, many statistical packages use exclusively double precision (64-bit)
floating point for all numerical work. They even store data on file in this
format. At least, both SAS and SPSS do so by default.

Then, stats are more than cross-tabulation tables! Try running multi-nomial
logit or tobit analyses on a 2000 case survey, and you will discover
that "stats" can be computationally demanding as well !

   ..

Nils-Eivind Naas          nen@isaf.no
ISAF, Oslo          or    nenaas@ulrik.uio.no