[comp.sys.hp] MODEM CONTROL

marc@marcal.uucp (Marc Veeneman) (06/13/91)

I just found out from HP's Support people that my HP9000/822
will not support hardware flow control to the modems, it won't
support more than 2400 baud, either.  I'm in shock.

We have three modems running at 19,200 baud (interface speed)
and are unhappy with the effective transfer rates.  But HP is
saying I should be happy that it works at all.

C'mon.  Are there any other HP-PA 9000s out there running UUCP
at more than 2400 baud?  How did you solve the terrible through-
put rate problem?

--
Marc Veeneman 		Marcal Systems Corporation    voice:	1 708 516 4555
marcal.uucp!marc	 Custom Financial Service	fax:    1 708 516 4411

hm@hcshh.hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis) (06/23/91)

In <1991Jun12.224058.6506@marcal.uucp> marc@marcal.uucp (Marc Veeneman) writes:

>I just found out from HP's Support people that my HP9000/822
>will not support hardware flow control to the modems, it won't
>support more than 2400 baud, either.  I'm in shock.

we have telebit 2500+ modems connected at 19200 baud to our series 800 for
uucp connections & dialouts. we are very pleased with the effective xfer rates
of those modems and had never problems with the lack of hardware handshaking.

(btw - it would be nice to get rts/cts handshaking from you, hp, instead of
 programming our own again & again ....)

hellmuth
Hellmuth Michaelis    HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH   Hamburg, Europe
e-mail: hm@hcshh.hcs.de        tel: +49 40 5501075         fax: +49 40 5591486