[comp.sys.hp] HP NFS inadaquatcies

alek@spatial.com ( Alek O. Komarnitsky ) (06/19/91)

In article <1730103@hpcndm.CND.HP.COM> dlr@hpcndm.CND.HP.COM (Dominic Ruffatto) writes:

[An included comment from another poster]
>> How about the ability to export sub-directories only.  Not
>> complete file systems.

[An included comment from yours truly]
>> My apologies if I've totally missed this one, but how about some options
>> in the exports file?  Specifically:   -root=hostname...   (and -ro).
>> My current solution is using adb to map nobody to 0 in /hp-ux at
>> boot time, but that's not desireable for obvious reasons.
>
>These two features are part of the SunOS 4.0 version of NFS.  I agree that
>they are useful features that I personally would use if they were made
>available.  Remeber the elusive cut line that you keep hearing about?  Well,
>4.0 enhancements are another victim of the cut line.  I am not defending the
>cut line just stating what happened.
>
>The NFS responsibility has moved on to another group.  Their organization is
>better positioned to add enhancements such as these.  I will pass your requests
>on to them hopefully they will have the bandwidth to work on these features.

Let me first say that I've been impressed by the comments by the HP technical
staff to a number of postings.  However, I'm disappointed that the mktg people
do not take more of an active role in the Net - it would be a great place to
get feedback on future features, etc. I suspect a number of them do read News,
but remember that communication is a two way street.

Having said that, let me add to the above thread that I would really (!)
like to see HP come up to snuff on NFS. I realize that it's a
product trademarked by those upstarts in Mt View, and that NFS may not be
the greatest protocol around. However, it is an absolute KEY part of a
hetergeneous UNIX network. BTW, we are currently trying to track down a NFS
problem from our Apollo (apollings?) to our HP's - doesn't happen to the Sun's!

I think very highly of HP, and am writing this in hope that others need
a full-up NFS on HP's & Apollo's, and that HP management will move it to
the RIGHT side of the "cut line."

Alek Komarnitsky                                      303-449-0649
Software Tools Manager, Spatial Technology, Inc.      2425 55th Street, Bldg A
alek@spatial.com                                      Boulder, CO 80301-5704

P.S. Hey, a vendor supplied automounter would be another radical idea!  :-)
     But I can get by with  amd  until the above problems are fixed.

awhitton@bwdlh128.BNR.CA (Alan Whitton) (06/20/91)

Ruffatto) writes:

|> Having said that, let me add to the above thread that I would really (!)
|> like to see HP come up to snuff on NFS. I realize that it's a
|> product trademarked by those upstarts in Mt View, and that NFS may not be
|> the greatest protocol around. However, it is an absolute KEY part of a
|> hetergeneous UNIX network. BTW, we are currently trying to track down a NFS
|> problem from our Apollo (apollings?) to our HP's - doesn't happen to
the Sun's!

|> I think very highly of HP, and am writing this in hope that others need
|> a full-up NFS on HP's & Apollo's, and that HP management will move it to
|> the RIGHT side of the "cut line."

Alek, the current Apollo NFS is quite below standard. It was written by
someone in Apollo using the NFS protocol standard document and that is
all, thus the code is quite "wild and wooly". Only in the past year or
so has such functionality as the ability to execute apollo executables on
an NFS mounted file system added. We keep finding more gotcha's with this
product.

Take heart though, HP has mentioned that it may port NFS 3.2 (the same klunky
version they ran under HP-UX 6.5 (earlier I think) to the Apollos....

Cheers,
Alan Whitton
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
BNR Ottawa                   Disclaimer: "This is only my opinion"
BITNET: awhitton@bnr.ca  OR  UUCP: ...uunet!bnrgate!forum!awhitton

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (06/22/91)

>However, I'm disappointed that the mktg people
>do not take more of an active role in the Net - it would be a great place to
>get feedback on future features, etc. I suspect a number of them do read News,
>but remember that communication is a two way street.

Sigh.  I wish you should see the flames in the internal HP notesgroup
about this very issue.  Techies can be very hard on their marketing
managers.  :)  The moment of inertia for HP is pretty substantial.  Once
we get used to the idea of people not having the money to travel to all
the trade shows, things should improve.

The problem appears to be that only the low-level types (like me) read
this group.  The businessfolk that actually make the decisions about the
"cut line" are far too busy to wade through these waters.  When
low-level techies (like me) use intuition and hearsay gained from the
Net against Sales Reps who have figures ("We'll lose $X if we don't have
Y"), you can guess what a businesssman hears.

The recent Open Letter at least made some of the managers aware of News.
That was A Good Thing.  Keep it up.  Hearing from real customers has
more weight than techies repeating what they heard from real customers.

>I think very highly of HP, and am writing this in hope that others need
>a full-up NFS on HP's & Apollo's, and that HP management will move it to
>the RIGHT side of the "cut line."

We (techies) hear you.  Your grasp of reality is remarkable.

>Alek Komarnitsky

Hey, Dom - could you forward this string to the appropriate folks in
Network Marketing ?

Perry Scott
HP Ft Collins
"my views only"

dlr@hpcndm.CND.HP.COM (Dominic Ruffatto) (06/24/91)

> Hey, Dom - could you forward this string to the appropriate folks in
> Network Marketing ?

I don't know who the marketing people are, but I did forward the appropriate
notes to the lab team in charge of NFS.

Dom

ash@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Art Harkin) (06/25/91)

/ comp.sys.hp / dlr@hpcndm.CND.HP.COM (Dominic Ruffatto) /  9:53 am  Jun 24, 1991 /
> Hey, Dom - could you forward this string to the appropriate folks in
> Network Marketing ?

I don't know who the marketing people are, but I did forward the appropriate
notes to the lab team in charge of NFS.

Dom
----------

I have forwarded this notes discussion to the marketing team
for ARPA/NFS.

Art Harkin					ash@cup.hp.com
Hewlett Packard					Cupertino, CA

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com. (Thomas J. Gilg) (06/26/91)

> The recent Open Letter at least made some of the managers aware of News.
> That was A Good Thing.  Keep it up.  Hearing from real customers has
> more weight than techies repeating what they heard from real customers.

Yes yes yes !!!

>> I think very highly of HP, and am writing this in hope that others need
>> a full-up NFS on HP's & Apollo's, and that HP management will move it to
>> the RIGHT side of the "cut line."

Somewhere deep in HP, there is a focus group dealing with interoperability
issues, and the Domain/OS <-> OSF/1 <-> HP-UX NFS situation.

Several months ago, our lab was asked to participate in an audio-conferenece
with the focus group.  During our discussion, I unloaded *many* issues about
NFS, and followed up with a 3 page letter of specific problems.

I'll take up the action item to pester the focus group and see what their
progress is.   Late April was my last contact with them.   Maybe I can get
them to read notes/news.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com