[comp.sys.hp] IBM 6000 vs HP 9000 series 700

hoberoi@eagle.wesleyan.edu (06/26/91)

Hi,
        here goes:
        any comparisons of RS6000 530/540 etc with the HP Apollo 9000 series
        700 machines ?

        HP claims better SPECmarks for all the comparable models

        SPEC    IBM 320         HP 720          IBM 530         HP 730
        mark    24.6            55.5            32              72.2
        int     16.3            39.0            20.4            51.0
        fp      32.4            70.2            43.4            91.0

        I would be interested in the performance AIX vs HP-UX. How better/worse
        is the OS.

        graphics- IBM offers the SGI Personal Iris board for the 500 series
        machines. HP has the T1/T2 based boards. How do the two compare ?

thanks
Himanshu hoberoi@beaver.wesleyan.edu

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.214124.29573@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub) writes:

>Beware of HP's claims.  Their machine is *hot*, but they tend
>to be into hyperboil (?sp).  See Dvorak's column in PC Magazine,
>where he reports HP's claims of a 720 vs a Cray, and interprets these
>with a wise ton of salt.

It's clear from this column# that Dvorak doesn't know his asymptote
from a hole-in-the-graph when it comes to benchmarks.  He presents
*no* first hand data to back up his claims, sheds no light on what the
referenced benchmark, AN-SYS something-or-other, measures, and then
proceeds to claim it has no basis or relevance.  He uses arguments
like "this benchmark indicates that the HP is half as fast as a Cray,
and *I* know that isn't the case, so this result is bogus."  What a
crock.

He says how he "was told" that the Cray's time on the test was
nearly all system overhead, and that if the test were lengthened 100
times, its time might not increase whereas the HP's time would likely
be 100 times greater.  What garbage.

He concludes with a comment from an unnamed CISC weenie that RISC
machines are only marginally faster than equivalent CISC machines, as
if neither of these guys (Dvorak nor his source) had a stake in CISC.
Sheesh.

I suggest Dvorak's readers interpret his column with a carload of
salt.  Or better yet, skip it favor of a column with some meat in it.

Can anyone shed any more light on this AN-SYS benchmark and what it
measures?

# I received a copy of a Dvorak article on this topic electronically.
I'm assuming it's substantially the same as the one referenced above.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  Tug on anything in nature and you will find
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    it connected to everything else.

wdh@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (W. David Higgins) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.191020.26093@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:

>Can anyone shed any more light on this AN-SYS benchmark and what it
>measures?

	I'm not a user of ANSYS, but I've been involved in porting
the program to several platforms.  Take all of this with a small
chip of salt...

	ANSYS is a finite element analysis program, used to model
physical structures and the stresses placed upon them.  SP-3 is
a "moderate sized 3-D solid statis analysis of a pressure vessel
containing 1020 eight node solid elements".  ANSYS is a product
of Swanson Analysis Systems Inc. (SASI), Houston PA.

	From what I remember ANSYS in general, and solving SP-3
in particular, spends much of its time doing linear algebra
(dot product, etc.).  I suspect a machine that does well on the
Linpack benchmark would do equally well with ANSYS.

	I don't believe Dvorak's column gave SP-3 times for Intel
x86 boxes;  let me remedy that by giving some times from SASI's
03/20/91 benchmark report:

SP-3:
Machine			CPU	Elapsed		Comments
--------		----	----		------------------------------
CRAY-2			 27	 29		One processor used for timings
CRAY Y-MP 8/128		 17	 17		One processor used for timings
IBM 6000/540		 68	 70
ALR 486/33mHz		360	360
HP 486/25mHz		550	550
Gateway 386/33mHz	804	804

	No wonder Dvorak conveniently forgot to include x86 times.

	There is some small truth to Dvorak's claim that SP-3 doesn't
give the Cray a chance to strut it's stuff, although it is probably vector
length and not system overhead that is involved.  SASI's LS4 benchmark
problem is considerably larger in size than SP-3.  Some times follow:

LS4:
Machine			CPU	Elapsed
--------		----	----
CRAY-2			647	699
IBM 6000/540		4139	4656

	Notice that the IBM-6000 took 2.5x the Cray running SP-3, but
the ratio grew to 6.4x when solving LS4.  LS4 is a _large_ problem;
SASI says 600mb of disk is required to complete the run.  The benchmark
reports I am quoting from did not include HP snake times, so I cannot
give the HP times for LS4.  Dvorak gave SP-3 CPU times of 49 seconds for
the HP 9000/730, and 68 seconds for the HP 9000/720.

	I hope this information is useful.
--
--  W. David Higgins                   wdhiggins@hrshcx.mkt.csd.harris.com
--  Harris Computer Systems,  Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33309       305-973-5351