[comp.sys.hp] xview on hp 720/730

monger@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Patricia Monger) (06/14/91)

does anyone know whether xview has been ported to the new hp machines? if so,
is it available in the public domain, or through a vendor?
thanks,
patricia monger
mcmaster university
hamilton, ontario

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com. (Mike Taylor) (06/19/91)

> this may be a duplicate posting;

Yep

> if so, my apologies.

De nada.

> does anyone know if xview has been ported to the hp 9000/720?  if so, from
> where can i get a copy?

UniPress Software
2025 Lincoln Hwy
Edison, NJ 08817
(908) 287-2100
(800) 222-0550
Telex: 709418
Fax: (908) 287-4929

I know nothing else about this product.

> thanks
> patricia monger
> mcmaster university
> hamilton, ont, canada
> monger@mcmaster.ca

Pax,

Mike Taylor
Current Products Engineering & Online
Interface Technology Operation

Surface:  Hewlett-Packard                 Internet:  tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
          1000 NE Circle Boulevard        UUCP:      {hpfcla}!hpcvlx!tay
          Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Fax:       (503) 750-4980

    "I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal!"
                                                   - Zaphod Beeblebrox

bunten@hpcndaw.CND.HP.COM (Steve Bunten) (06/20/91)

>> does anyone know if xview has been ported to the hp 9000/720?  if so, from
>> where can i get a copy?

>UniPress Software
>2025 Lincoln Hwy
>Edison, NJ 08817
>(908) 287-2100
>(800) 222-0550
>Telex: 709418
>Fax: (908) 287-4929

>I know nothing else about this product.

I don't believe she is asking for VisionWare's X/Vision product that makes a
PC running Windows into an X Terminal.  I know nothing about what xview (the
program) is but I don't think it refers to VisionWare's product.

Steve Bunten

mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (06/21/91)

In article <1730104@hpcndaw.CND.HP.COM> bunten@hpcndaw.CND.HP.COM (Steve Bunten) writes:
 >>> does anyone know if xview has been ported to the hp 9000/720?  if so, from
 >>> where can i get a copy?
 >
 >>UniPress Software
 >>2025 Lincoln Hwy
 >>Edison, NJ 08817
 >>(908) 287-2100
 >>(800) 222-0550
 >>Telex: 709418
 >>Fax: (908) 287-4929
 >
 >>I know nothing else about this product.
 >
 >I don't believe she is asking for VisionWare's X/Vision product that makes a
 >PC running Windows into an X Terminal.  I know nothing about what xview (the
 >program) is but I don't think it refers to VisionWare's product.

unipress *is* selling xview. they *also* sell X/Vision.

kjc@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (06/21/91)

In article <1730104@hpcndaw.CND.HP.COM>, bunten@hpcndaw.CND.HP.COM (Steve Bunten) writes:
>>> does anyone know if xview has been ported to the hp 9000/720?  if so, from
>>> where can i get a copy?
>
>>UniPress Software
>>2025 Lincoln Hwy
>>Edison, NJ 08817
>>(908) 287-2100
>>(800) 222-0550
>>Telex: 709418
>>Fax: (908) 287-4929
>
>>I know nothing else about this product.
>
> I don't believe she is asking for VisionWare's X/Vision product that makes a
> PC running Windows into an X Terminal.  I know nothing about what xview (the
> program) is but I don't think it refers to VisionWare's product.
>
> Steve Bunten

XView is the public domain version of SUN's Open Look GUI and was distributed
as part of MIT's X11r4 tapes under the contrib section. XView2 is the latest
version of XView and is available from many sites on the internet via
anonymous ftp.

According to the documentation SUN are going to port XView2 to the HP platform
themselves. I was able to get most of it going (in a fashion) but had to give
up due to filestore problems. If (when) I can finish the port, I will send a
message to this newsgroup.

Kenny Chan

email:  kjc@uk.ac.liv.cs.and

postal: Kenneth Chan
        Computer Science Department
        University Of Liverpool
        PO Box 147
        Liverpool
        L69 3BX

beau1029@mstr.hgc.edu (donald beaudry) (06/26/91)

>>> does anyone know if xview has been ported to the hp 9000/720?  if so, from
>>> where can i get a copy?
>
>I don't believe she is asking for VisionWare's X/Vision product that makes a
>PC running Windows into an X Terminal.  I know nothing about what xview (the
>program) is but I don't think it refers to VisionWare's product.

It look like she is talking about the xloadimage program.  xloadimage is
a good image viewer/slideshow that handles gif, x bitmap, x window dump,
portable pixmps, etc.

xloadimage can display images in a window or on the root window.  If you
name the executable "xview" (or set up a link), several default options are
set, and the image will appear in a window.

You can obtain xloadimage from export.lcs.mit.edu in the contrib directory.
It is portable code that compiles nicely on every X box I have tried so
far, including the hp 9000/700 series.

jco@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John C. Orthoefer) (06/30/91)

If your talking about xloadimage being linked to xview.  And getting it to
work under HP's VUE.  You need the most resent version, since VUE puts up a
virtual root window but xloadimage writes on the real root window.  So what
happens is that xloadimage puts the image up just fine on the root, but Vue
is in your way to see it.

Normaly you get a glimpse of the pic as you exit.

later
jco

--
"BSD the strongest Operating System avaible today without a prescription."
John C. Orthoefer	Internet: jco@smuggler.cis.ufl.edu