[comp.sys.cbm] Modem 1200 Question

ggw@ethos.UUCP (Gregory Woodbury) (11/13/86)

(Having seen no replies, and not being able to find the article on any other
system that I access - here goes again.)

Is there a simple way to keep the CBM Modem 1200 from coming up initially
with auto-answer enabled?  There have been several times that I have turned
on my 128 with the modem in the port and connected to the phone line, and,
sure enough, the phone rings and the modem blasts the callers ears with
the answer signal.  I have finally learned to keep the phone line out of
the modem, but now I tend to forget that its unplugged.  Also, other users
in the household don't have the ability or know-how to plug in the jack if
they want to use it.  Come on, is the Modem 1200 such a cheap ``imitation''
that they couldn't put in an auto-answer disable :-) `HEAVY SCARCASTIC SMILE'
(I actually am quite impressed with the little beastie.)
Gregory G. Woodbury				The usual disclaimers apply
CEO, Research Triangle C-64/128 User's Group
{duke|mcnc|rti-sel}!ethos!ggw                 The line eater is a boojum snark!

sentinel@killer.UUCP (Rob Tillotson) (11/14/86)

In article <904@ethos.UUCP>, ggw@ethos.UUCP writes:
> Is there a simple way to keep the CBM Modem 1200 from coming up initially
> with auto-answer enabled? ...

    Unfortunately, no.  I saw mention someplace that Commodore planned to
make one of the dip-switches disable auto-answer, but as far as I know they
never did... of course, since I have one of the first 1670's that wouldn't
help me much anyway!
    Anyhow, you should invest in a "Ringer Silencer", available at your local
Radio Shack for around $5-$7.  It's basically a 6 foot phone cord with a
switch in the middle which disables ringing.  You simply replace the cord
between your modem and wall with this thing, and set the switch to OFF.
Of course, this disables the ring on the phone connected to the modem as
well, but I have not found this to be a problem, as there is another phone
in the next room.
    Also, I have noticed no problems regarding line noise using this, and
as a side effect it also seems to keep my 1670 from picking up the line
whenever I dial another phone in the house (all of them are pulse... the
darn 1670 thinks that someone is trying to call!).  Not bad for $7.

-----
Rob Tillotson
...ihnp4!killer!sentinel
...pur-ee!sentinel

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) (11/14/86)

In article <904@ethos.UUCP> ggw@ethos.UUCP (Gregory Woodbury) writes:

>with auto-answer enabled?  There have been several times that I have turned
>on my 128 with the modem in the port and connected to the phone line, and,
>sure enough, the phone rings and the modem blasts the callers ears with
>the answer signal.  I have finally learned to keep the phone line out of

I've had the same problem. What's worse is when I'm at my parents house
using the phone line, sometimes there call-waiting tone interupts the
carrier so the modem disconnects. And then the phone rings again and the
auto answer takes over and blasts them. This all happens faster than I
can realize what's happening! Dads boss wasn't too happy...

                                   Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
                                   University of Buffalo

csnet:	 ugbowen@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	 ..!{allegra,decvax,watmath,rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugbowen
BITNET:  ugbowen@sunybcs.BITNET
Voice:   (716) 836-7358
USnail:  67 Lisbon Ave; Buffalo, NY; 14214

fetrow@entropy.ms.washington.edu (David Fetrow) (11/17/86)

 This is not a real simple answer to the 1670 autoanswer disable problem but...

On my C128 under CP/M I had a PROFILE.SUB which sent a file to the modem
containing the commands to not autoanswer. A similar scheme should work in
C128 mode using an autobooting BASIC program.

porter@cbmvax.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <904@ethos.UUCP> ggw@ethos.UUCP (Gregory Woodbury) writes:
>Is there a simple way to keep the CBM Modem 1200 from coming up initially
>with auto-answer enabled?

>Gregory G. Woodbury				The usual disclaimers apply
>CEO, Research Triangle C-64/128 User's Group

Greg,

Radio Shack has just the thing for you.  Called a Ringer Silencer.
Catalog number 43-127 for $7.95 list.  It has an on/off switch for
the ringer, but allows normal operation of the phone even when
switched off.  Many people have used this with success.  Others
have rigged up a switch with the phone line.

I hear you.  Hope this helps.

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (12/02/86)

In article <904@ethos.UUCP> ggw@ethos.UUCP (Gregory Woodbury) writes:

>Is there a simple way to keep the CBM Modem 1200 from coming up initially
>with auto-answer enabled?  There have been several times that I have turned
>on my 128 with the modem in the port and connected to the phone line, and,
>sure enough, the phone rings and the modem blasts the callers ears with
>the answer signal.

   I think a short Basic program will do the trick.  Open a serial file,
print "ATS0=0" to it, and close the file.  Make it autoboot if you like.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180