[comp.sys.cbm] GEOS and composite video

shaul@cheshire.columbia.edu (Shaul Lev) (11/19/86)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

May be I'm asking a question which was answered before, but since I'm new
in the net I still have my problem.
I want to know if there is any possibility to see the letters printed by GEOS
on a composite color monitor more clearly. In the ads or even on the C64C
box the letters are very sharp, while on my monitor I have to guess what is
written behind the icons. Nothing was said by Commodore that GEOS is only
 for monochrome or RGB (which is useless with the 64C), so I expect to enjoy
working with GEOS instead of trying to read the screen with a limited success.
Anyone who has a solution please tell me.
Thanks
	Shaul.

shaul@cheshire.columbia.edu (Shaul Lev) (12/08/86)

Subject : GEOS and composite video.

I would like to know if there is any possibility to see letters printed by GEOS
on a composite color monitor more clearly. In the ads or even on the C64C
box the letters are very sharp, while on my monitor I have to guess what is
written below the icons. Nothing was said by Commodore that GEOS is only
 for monochrome or RGB (which is useless with the 64C), so I expect to enjoy
working with GEOS instead of trying to read the screen with a limited success.
Anyone who has a solution please let me know.
Thanks
       Shaul

janh@hplsla.HP.COM (Jan Hofland) (12/10/86)

[]
I, too, have found the composite video text display marginal when using
GEOS.  My solution turned out to be a hardware modification to the C64.
My machine is an early version (version 1, I think).  I noticed that the
more recent vintages use video interface circuits built into the RF
modulator, rather than the transistors, resistors, and capacitor circuitry
mounted directly on the pc board.  What I did was to build a circuit
that goes between the VicII chip and the DIN video output connector that
duplicates what is happening inside the newer version RF modulator.  The
most significant differences are the use of a locally regulated power
source and separate emitter followers for the composite video, lumenance,
and chroma outputs.

Jan Hofland
Hewlett Packard
Lake Stevens Instrument Division