[comp.sys.cbm] C-64 A/D conversion

cuda@ihlpg.UUCP (Nelson) (12/23/86)

Does anyone know how the SID chip does the A/D conversion?  Since
you have to use a specific maximum time constant, and changing the
value of the pot effects the time constant it would seem that some
type of timing is done and not a true A/D (voltage) measurement.
Have any of you tried using a fixed RC ratio and varying the voltage?
I would like to use the pot pins for voltage measurement but don't
know how to fake the system out.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike Nelson
ihlpg!cuda
AT&T Bell Labs

maryr@well.UUCP (Mary C Rinaldi) (01/11/87)

In article <2668@ihlpg.UUCP> cuda@ihlpg.UUCP (Nelson) writes:
>Does anyone know how the SID chip does the A/D conversion?  Since
>you have to use a specific maximum time constant, and changing the
>value of the pot effects the time constant it would seem that some
>type of timing is done and not a true A/D (voltage) measurement.
>Have any of you tried using a fixed RC ratio and varying the voltage?
>I would like to use the pot pins for voltage measurement but don't
>know how to fake the system out.
>
>Thanks for all the help.
>
>Mike Nelson
>ihlpg!cuda
>AT&T Bell Labs

I've began experimenting with the joystick
ports on my C64. I just bought some

paddles to tear apart to look at.
I also bought a 500k ohm pentiometer
which is almost the same as the one
in the paddles(470k ohm)
Ill post here as soon as i figure it out, i want to hook up
a thermistor and a phototransistor to it and use it in a lab.