[comp.sys.cbm] Full C64 emulation on an Amiga 2000?

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (03/06/87)

----
[The Amiga 2000 comes with a slot for 5&1/4" drives and internal slots,
 to which full XT-on-a-card can be plugged in. Then the Amiga runs IBM
 software as a subtask (possibly concurrently with Amiga programs). (The
 Amiga can run *all* IBM software, not only things like Lotus, etc. Even
 programs like the Flight Simulator are no problem.) Anyway, I was
 wondering about the possibility of adding C64 emulation, and posted this
 to comp.sys.amiga. Thought it might be useful to post it to comp.sys.cbm
 as well --- I would be interested in hearing any comments...]

How generic are 5&1/4" drives like the one to be put in the A2000 for
IBM emulation? I mean, does the drive itself have anything to do with what
format data is on the disk, or is it the disk controller that determines
most parameters? The actual question is, can the 5&1/4" drive destined for
the A2000 read Commodore 64 disks, given a different controller?

I imagine (with maybe a bit of clever programming) the Amiga could
emulate a C64 in full time (including to the smallest details including
sound, sprites, the different video modes, etc), in software only.
Then all you would need is the disk controller chip to be plugged into
one of the slots, and how much could that cost?

Any comments? Am I right in assuming that all the hardware one would need
is a disk controller? And am I right in assuming the Amiga can emulate a C64
in software? If it was possible for the A2000 to fully emulate a C64
for less than $50 plus the price of the disk drive, it might make current
C64 owners happy and more willing to spend money on an Amiga (rather
than some other machine).

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu, decwrl!rocky.stanford.edu!ali

timothy@ukecc.uky.edu (Timothy W. Williams) (03/10/87)

<munch, munch, munch.... snort, cough>

In article <159@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.ARPA (Ali Ozer) writes:
>The actual question is, can the 5&1/4" drive destined for
>the A2000 read Commodore 64 disks, given a different controller?

Sure... the 1571 (on my Commodore 128) can read MS-DOS formats, CP/M, 1541,
and, even, 1571 "native" mode... why not just use a 1571 type drive??  Then
we can run CP/M as a task too!!

"Imagination is more important than intelligence."  Albert E.

                                  -- Timothy W. Williams