[comp.sys.cbm] Making a REAL!!!! backup of the GEOS system disk!!

astrix@puff.WISC.EDU (Lou Goodman) (03/16/87)

In article <2871@voder.UUCP>, kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) writes:

>      So what I want to know from any of you out there, is there a good
> piece of back-up software on the market that I can use to create an exact copy
> (protection and all or maybe even stripe it off) of the system/boot disk
> when I finally get a replacement. And please no flames about pirating, I
> bought the, now non-functioning, software.
>
>      Kevin

when I got my kit out for geos, i looked at the sheet that said MAKE A
BACK UP IMMEDIATELY and write protect it and put it in the company
vault (or some such). Well I did. Then I started making several work
copies. halfway through, I found that in making a work copy I was
distracted. It said put blank disk in (again or some such) and I left
the orginal geos in. Net result was ZAPPOOOOOOO! Gone goose.

looking in the manual, it said recopy from backup (taking it carefully
from the company vault). It was a bit odd to reZap the original disk
(was not fast enough to stop damage the first time... this time
zippo). I copied it all back and it all worked. At a recent meeting of
our user's group, one of the tech people let drop that it is not the
SOFTWARE but the DISK that is "processed". I.E. the comment was that a
piece or set of pieces of the disk were laser zapped off. So, to
restore the clobbered master disk all you have to do is recopy the
software (over the holes, so to say). Could well be... it worked with
mine.

"True backups" are on the way (i.e. faking the holes(?)). I have
already seen an ad somewhere.... there is hope (even more if you
followed procedure and made a full backup copy of the original).
Hope you did and that you can recover that way... I did... Of course,
if you got it with the 64c then... no telling what it said......

astrix (Lou R. Goodman), UW Madison

|| He who knows, who really knows, and knows that he knows...... ||
|| knows just how much he doesn't know......                     ||
|| "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but flames... oi weh!" ||

cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) (03/18/87)

In article <2871@voder.UUCP>, kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) writes:

>      So what I want to know from any of you out there, is there a good
> piece of back-up software on the market that I can use to create an exact copy
> (protection and all or maybe even stripe it off) of the system/boot disk
> when I finally get a replacement. And please no flames about pirating, I
> bought the, now non-functioning, software.
>
>      Kevin

For those out there still wanting to make a *backup* of your GEOS boot
disk, Fast Hack'em V.4.0 has the ability to make a backup that will
boot the C64 by itself (with the 1541 of course).  FH runs approx. $32
and is available from Basement Boys software in Oregon, I don't have
the address on me at the moment, but when I get it, I will post it.  I
made a backup of my GEOS disk and have my original stored in the box
it came in.

I however have not bought the Writer's Workbench(Workshop?) as I have
read all the nasty comments about it on Quantum Link.  If anyone has
tried it, please let me know what you think about it.

				Mike