[comp.sys.cbm] Looking for a replacement C64 Keyboard..

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (03/06/87)

Hi there...

I have a couple questions:

1)   I work as a data entry person part-time, and as a result I have had
experience with many different keyboards.  The more keyboards I use
the more I begin to really hate my old, worn out c64 keyboard.  Don't
get me wrong, I still love the computer inside...I am just getting
fed up with the double "L"`s, lack of spaces, and extreme force at
which I have to attack the keys just to get out what I intend.  Not
to mention the number of times I have to hit the delete key.
     So, last week I spied a Commodore keyboard being sold anonymously through
Radio-Shack and figured it would be a good idea to replace my old
c64 keyboard with a new one (I have the REALLY old style keyboard
that was shipped with the very first c64's, the machines that cost
~$400 and weren't as good in the video).  Anyhow, I went down to
the store and found out it was the wrong keyboard...probably one
intended for a Plus-4 or some other machine.  The biggest problem
was that it had way to many lines coming out of the keyboard
itself, so I would never have been able to connect it, even with
modifications. (It was however a Commodore keyboard, with the
Commodore key in the lower-lefthand corner.
     SOOOO...does anyone know where I can buy or order a replacement keyboard
from, and if so, how much they cost?  I have hacked around inside
the case of the 64 a bit when I installed my own reset switch (which
works amazingly well), so I am not afraid of installation problems.
I would even be willing to change the connector if it needs it, but
I would preferto be able to plug it right into the machine internally.
I have one of the earliest c64's, if that makes a difference.

2)   Assuming I can get a keyboard, I would like to make it external to my
machine, fitting the keyboard into a wood frame (or something like that) and
having the actual computer somewhere else.  As I stated above, I have done
small electrical repairs and woodworking, so this part doesn't bother me.
My question is how long I can make the cord between the computer and the
keyboard for them to work reliably together.  I know that there were problems
with ealier Amiga's and keyboard extensions, so I thought I would ask.

--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

jbh@mb2c.UUCP (03/09/87)

It's really not too difficult to fix the keyboard you have.... I've cleaned
mine several times..  Just remove the three screws from the bottom front,
pull the top of the case including the keyboard up, unplug it, and turn it over
.
You will see a dozen or so very small phillips screws and one key with wires
soldered to it.  Unsolder the two wires and take out all the tiny screws.
The circuit board can then be removed and cleaned up with Q-Tips and rubbing
alcohol.  Then take a Q-Tip and alcohol and wipe down each of the conductive
rubber prongs attached to the keys.

Put it back together and you will be amazed at the difference.  I have an 803
PET that was used as a word processor befor I came into it which had a keyboard
that was almost unuseable.  The alcohol technique brought it up to almost as
good as new.  My '64 has been cleaned four times in its 3 year life with no
ill effects.

Jim Harvey, 18538 Inkster, Redford, Mich.  48240

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (03/18/87)

In article <2225@mb2c.UUCP> jbh@mb2c.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:

>The circuit board can then be removed and cleaned up with Q-Tips and rubbing
>alcohol.  Then take a Q-Tip and alcohol and wipe down each of the conductive
>rubber prongs attached to the keys.

Radio Shack sells a solvent in a spray can with a long tube on the nozzel. It
allows you to put the nozzel down into the keyboard without much disassembly,
and the stuff you spray in cleans and evaporates almost instantly. I've had
great luck with it on a number of keyboards.

                                   Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
                                   University of Buffalo

csnet:	 ugbowen@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	 ..!{allegra,decvax,watmath,rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugbowen
BITNET:  ugbowen@sunybcs.BITNET
BBS:     (716) 672-8843 (On-line: Computer Access Center)
Voice:   (716) 836-7358
USnail:  67 Lisbon Ave; Buffalo, NY; 14214

jbh@mb2c.UUCP (03/23/87)

>  !sunybcs!ugbowen (ugbowen @ SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science)
>In article <2225@mb2c.UUCP> jbh@mb2c.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
>>
>>The circuit board can then be removed and cleaned up with Q-Tips and rubbing
>>alcohol.  Then take a Q-Tip and alcohol and wipe down each of the conductive
>>rubber prongs attached to the keys.
>>

>Radio Shack sells a solvent in a spray can with a long tube on the nozzel. It
>allows you to put the nozzel down into the keyboard without much disassembly,
>and the stuff you spray in cleans and evaporates almost instantly. I've had
>great luck with it on a number of keyboard.
>              Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
>              University of Buffalo

This should work well if you pry the keycaps off the offending keys and
spray it right down their throats.

This week I saw an ad in "The Inputer", a magazine that appears to be sort of
a Computer Shopper for Minicomputers.  The ad was from a firm called LOLIR
with several branches shown in Texas.  The main store is at 214-234-8056.
There were a number of Commodore surplus items in the ad, such as a new
C64 motherboard for $39.95, C64 keyboard for $9 (they also advertise a
C16 keyboard for $7 so apparently they know the difference, not like Radio
Shack), a Commodore replacement composite monitor for $20, and several
other small items.

Does anybody know anything about this firm?  I showed the ad to two friends
and they both are ordering the C64 main boards so I will soon know one way or
the other.  I have been burned by mail order firms in the past and will wait
before I order.

   Jim Harvey
   18538 Inkster
   Redford, Mich.