[comp.sys.cbm] C64 Mouse

kinne@oswego.UUCP (03/16/87)

Morning Folks:
	I recently saw the C64 mouse for the first time and was mildly
impressed.  Before considering buying one, however, I need some information
as to how to program them.  I tried the mouse out on nearly every joystick
driven program I had (except the obvious shoot 'em up games) and the mouse
worked reasonably well.  It also worked exactly how the joystick would have
worked in the same situation.  Thus, I have several questions I'd like the
CBM community to answer.

	Are the signals comming to the 64 from the mouse the same as the
64 would get from the joystick??  I am assuming the pin outs are the same.
Am I correct in this assumption?  Finally (and the biggest question I have
on this mouse), is there ANY difference in the two buttons on the mouse???
On every program I tried it didn't matter which button I pushed, they both
acted the same.

	To anyone who responds..."Thanks in advance!!"
---
                                                       Doc Kinne
CIS: 72457,2450                                Instructional Computing Center
UUCP: seismo!rochester!rocksvax!oswego!kinne   SUNY College at Oswego
BBS: Gary's BBS:(315)598-8106 "The Doctor"     Oswego NY 13126  (315)341-3055
"Yea, but your gonna be stupid for the rest of your life!"
			-Chris Chambers to Teddy Duchamp: Stand By Me
DISCLAIMER: You WANT these opinions?????

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <345@oswego.UUCP> kinne@natasha.UUCP (Doc Kinne) writes:
>Morning Folks:
>	I recently saw the C64 mouse for the first time and was mildly
>impressed.  Before considering buying one, however, I need some information
>as to how to program them.
		( Other text )
>	To anyone who responds..."Thanks in advance!!"
>                                                       Doc Kinne

	I don't know what you saw, but the mouse to get for a C64/C128
is the 1351 from Commodore.

	It has two modes supporting software which expects a joystick (
ie it can act just like a joystick ), and new software which requires
a true proportional mouse ( GEOS can use this ).

	The mouse is well documented. The 1351 comes demo programs and
source on a disk, and with full explainations in the manual.

	Do not confuse it with the 1350 mouse which is a joystick only
product, or other mice on the market ( which simply are not as good. ).

	The proud 1351 designer.
	Hedley Davis
	( Who me, biased ? :-) )