[comp.sys.cbm] terminal software

cc.rob@ut-ngp.UUCP (04/28/87)

Thanks for the responses about LYNX and ARC.  They have been
helpful.

Now for another question.  I recently got a Volks 6480 modem.
It works great, but I can't find any really good software for
it.  It have been using VIPterm (and VIP XL) with a 1650
compatible now for some time.  I really enjoy the fact that
VIP has vt52 emulation and multiple screen widths.  However,
it doesn't work with the 6480.  The modem did come with some
telecom software but.... (not overwhelming).  If anyone can
please give me any leads about software that can emulate vt52,
vt100, adm, or some recognized terminal type and have 80 col
support (actually 64 col is my normal) for the 6480, I will
really appreciate it.  Also, does the 6480 emulate another
type (1670, mighty mo, etc)?

Thanks (and again for the info about LYNX and ARC),

Xavier Jones

Disclaimer
The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect
those of the University of Texas Computation Center.
		Why should they?

dean@hyper.UUCP (Dean Gahlon) (04/28/87)

in article <5089@ut-ngp.UUCP>, cc.rob@ut-ngp.UUCP (Xavier Jones) says:
> I recently got a Volks 6480 modem.
> It works great, but I can't find any really good software for
> it.
	I had a Volks 6480 once.  After trying all five of the terminal
programs I had at the time, and discovering that none of them worked
with it, (including the piece of gobbij that came with it [although, to
be truthful, that one got further than the others]), I brought it back
to where I bought it, then went out and got a Hayes-compatible modem.

				Dean C. Gahlon
				...ihnp4!umn-cs!hyper!dean

aeusejxn@csun.UUCP (Joachim Nave) (05/01/87)

In article <5089@ut-ngp.UUCP> cc.rob@ut-ngp.UUCP (Xavier Jones) writes:

>Now for another question.  I recently got a Volks 6480 modem.
>It works great, but I can't find any really good software for
>it.

I have a Volks 6470 (arghhh!!) and I am also looking for a terminal
that emulates VT100 or VT52 mode.

There is a program out there in public domain called BOBS TERM
which works with most modems (even with our junky ones!)
But I have tried to get this program but cannot find it!

Now that we have the name, WHO HAS THE ABOVE PROGRAM!

                                 Us VOLKS'ers

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (05/03/87)

in article <5089@ut-ngp.UUCP>, cc.rob@ut-ngp.UUCP (Xavier Jones) says:
> Now for another question.  I recently got a Volks 6480 modem.
> It works great, but I can't find any really good software for
> it.  It have been using VIPterm (and VIP XL) with a 1650
> compatible now for some time.  I really enjoy the fact that
> VIP has vt52 emulation and multiple screen widths.  However,
> it doesn't work with the 6480.  The modem did come with some
> telecom software but.... (not overwhelming).  If anyone can
> please give me any leads about software that can emulate vt52,
> vt100, adm, or some recognized terminal type and have 80 col
> support (actually 64 col is my normal) for the 6480, I will
> really appreciate it.  Also, does the 6480 emulate another
> type (1670, mighty mo, etc)?

I don't know of any decent terminal program that'll work with the 6480.
However, I DID just find someone who knows how to make the 6480 work.
His name is Ron Gatchel, and he just spent 6 months playing with the 6470 and
6480 making it work with Commterm 7.3 (Yet Another Commterm Derivative). He
sent me a disk with the program itself, all the source code files, and several
text files explaining various things about how to make the 6480 do its stuff.
If you would like the disk, send a few bucks ($5 seems right) to him -- Ron
Gatchel, 5111 Olana, Houston, TX 77032. Maybe a real programmer can use this
info to make one of the available programs work with the 6480....
--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     CS student, University of SW Louisiana
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      Apprentice Haquer, Bayou Telecommunications