[comp.sys.cbm] Modems & the C-64

brucec@astroatc.UUCP (06/18/87)

I was wondering if anything special was needed to hook up a non-Commodore
modem to the C-64.  Also, can you give me info on how to get the terminal
program that was posted a few months ago (It was in assember I believe.)

Thanks for the help.

Bruce Cantrall
               "...this is between me and the vegetable."
 ()      |{seismo,harvard}!uwvax!astroatc!brucec                       ()
\||/     |{ihnp4,decvax}!nicmad!astroatc!brucec                       \||/
--

bowen@sunybcs.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <333@astroatc.UUCP> brucec@astroatc.UUCP (Bruce Cantrall) writes:

>I was wondering if anything special was needed to hook up a non-Commodore
>modem to the C-64.

The Commodore's use a different voltage level in their RS-232 port than is
standard. You need a converter to use a standard RS-232 device. I bought
one for about $40. It's the Omnitronix Deluxe RS-232 Interface. It's given
me no problems, but there are others. If you want to go a cheaper route,
you can make one. I believe it was Frank Prindle who posted one here a while
back. I think I still have it if you want it.

                                   Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
                                   University of Buffalo

csnet:	 ugbowen@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	 ..!{allegra,decvax,watmath,rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugbowen
BITNET:  ugbowen@sunybcs.BITNET
BBS:     (716) 672-8843 (On-line: Computer Access Center)
Voice:   (716) 836-7358
USnail:  67 Lisbon Ave; Buffalo, NY; 14214