[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 drive

whizzo@eddie.MIT.EDU (David Hardy) (07/09/87)

I have a Commodore 1581 disk drive and a Commodore 64 computer.  After I got
the drive I was told that it uses MFM rather than GCR, and that MFM has a bug
in it which can cause errors in reading data.

Can someone enlighten me as to what this means, what the bug is, if any, how
it manifests itself, and how to avoid it, etc...
                                                          >>> Dave
"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a
 proposition.  It isn't just contradiction  ..................  Can be!"
                     David Hardy    (whizzo@EDDIE.MIT.EDU)

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (07/13/87)

In article <6266@eddie.MIT.EDU>, whizzo@eddie.MIT.EDU (David Hardy) writes:
> I have a Commodore 1581 disk drive and a Commodore 64 computer.  After I got
> the drive I was told that it uses MFM rather than GCR, and that MFM has a bug
> in it which can cause errors in reading data.
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to what this means, what the bug is, if any, how
> it manifests itself, and how to avoid it, etc...
>                      David Hardy    (whizzo@EDDIE.MIT.EDU)

Yeah, I could use enlightening too.  So far, the 1581 seems pretty clean. My
mailbox is always open to bug reports, and I will certainly summarize such
demonstrable things to the net.  I am currently looking into two such reports
(one via email- thank you) and one by telephone.

Please, if you are experiencing a problem, let me know!  I have nothing to
lose by helping you out...