[comp.sys.cbm] Guess...

per@aahus.UUCP (Per) (08/06/87)

HERE A QUESTION WITH TWO ANSWERS...

What is it that is SLOW, STUPID, CONSUMING, BORING and NON-THINKING ?

Wrong answer:

	Maybe an elephant ?

Right answer:

	Amiga's Workbench !!!!

That's correct, or !?!?

--
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Per Fornland		per@aahus.UUCP or per@aahus.se or

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (08/09/87)

In article <682@aahus.UUCP> per@aahus.UUCP (Per) writes:
>What is it that is SLOW, STUPID, CONSUMING, BORING and NON-THINKING ?
>	Amiga's Workbench !!!!

This probably should have been sent to comp.sys.amiga... But in any case,
if you say the WB is slower because it takes a long time popping up those
icons when you open a disk or a directory, well, you're right --- It does
take a while longer than the Mac, say. The Amiga file system is very good at
getting to files given a name --- But not too good at going through a list of
files, which is what it has to do when you open a directory. (This also
explains why a command like "dir" takes a while to list all the files.)

Of course, you also have the option of using two interfaces, not just the
WB. I use the CLI for programming/playing with public domain
programs and the WB when I'm using tools such as VideoScape 3D, Deluxe
Paint, etc... Unless I have a lot (read 20 or more = too many, really) of
files in my directories, the WB performs well. There's also of course the
added advantage that when you quit a program and come back to the WB,
it's instantaneouosly there --- Think how much you wait on Mac when you quit
a program. Think how much time you waste when you have to go back and
forth between two programs!

If this is not what you meant by the above adjectives, feel free to elaborate.
(Maybe on comp.sys.amiga, though, in order to avoid filling comp.sys.cbm up
with Amiga stuff...)

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (08/10/87)

I have a feeling that the Amiga's slowness in Workbench may be due to the
(common) use of floppy disk drives.  I had a chance to play with an Amiga
connected to a Supra Hard Drive and I'll tell you that those icons seemed
to be smoking as they hit the screen :-) .  Doing a 'dir' was magnitudes
faster too.  I am not sure why it takes so long with a floppy...I am also
not sure how other floppy-based icon systems compare in speed (the Apple
Macintosh, for example).  I have seen a 16 mHz Mac II with a hard disk and
it did not pop those icons on the screen any faster than an ~8 mHz Amiga...
pretty sad, I thought, for a machine that cost a hell of a lot more.  Oh
well...

							-Chris

[Sorry about posting this Amiga followup to comp.sys.cbm]
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu