[comp.sys.cbm] 80 columns on a C128 using a 1701 monitor

dave@zehntel.UUCP (Dave Funk) (08/10/87)

There are some companies (Tenex Computer Express, Value Soft) that build a
special cable that goes between a 1701 (or 1702) Commodore monitor and a
C128 to get 80 columns monochrome.  The cable uses both the RGB port *and*
the video port on the C128.

Has anyone tried this cable?  How well does it work?  Is it transparent to
80 column software?

Dave Funk
Zehntel, Inc.
2625 Shadelands Drive
Walnut Creek, CA  94598
(415) 932-6900 x309

     ....!ucbvax!zehntel!dave
     ....!decvax!sytek!zehntel!dave
     ...."zehntel!dave"@BERKELEY

bub@rlgvax.UUCP ( Mongo Mauler) (08/11/87)

In article <293@zehntel.UUCP>, dave@zehntel.UUCP (Dave Funk) writes:
> There are some companies (Tenex Computer Express, Value Soft) that build a
> special cable that goes between a 1701 (or 1702) Commodore monitor and a
> C128 to get 80 columns monochrome.  The cable uses both the RGB port *and*
> the video port on the C128.
>
> Has anyone tried this cable?  How well does it work?  Is it transparent to
> 80 column software?

	I have not used this particular cable, but my _opinion_ of the
	one I have used:

	The display is legible, but if I had to look at that screen for
	any real length of time...

	If you must check out 80 columns and can't afford anything else,
	at least you'd have something that is somewhat functional.  Any
	software supporting 80 columns mono should work just fine - but if
	you plan on doing any serious work or use of the 80 column display
	this cable will not really be more than a temporary (and very eye
	straining) stop-gap.  The quality in my opinion is really quite
	poor.