[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit 2.0-- was :Re: vt100 on C-64 wanted

brucec@astroatc.UUCP (Bruce Cantrall) (08/16/87)

Distribution:na

In article <1336@killer.UUCP> sentinel@killer.UUCP (Rob Tillotson) writes:
>In article <2668@husc6.UUCP>, corelib@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (core library) writes:
>> In article <9500001@altger.UUCP> playboy@altger.UUCP writes:
>> >I am looking for a good vt100 Emulation on the C-64. Anybody knows
>> >where i cann get it?                          tnx

Sorry, I deleted a bit too much of you message.

>also supports the use of the C-128's 80 column RGB output (while still running
>in C-64 mode).  Also, since the VT-100 and VT-52 have 24 lines and the 64 has
>25, the 25th screen line is now a status line suitable for use with the BSD
>sysline(1) command or other programs like it.
>    Kermit 2.0 is available from Columbia, via the usual means of distribution
>(whatever those are).  The guys that did the 2.0 enhancements are still working
>on it as time permits, and as far as I know the next release will have support
>for all of the VT-100 keys... I have no idea when that will actually be out,
>though.
>
>(Note:  I had nothing to do with the production of Kermit 2.0, except for
>        giving some advice and using my C-128 as a test bed.  The authors
>        know a lot more about this than I do, but asked me to post this
>        because they are kind of busy right now.  If you want to write them,
>        send mail to Ray Moody at aij@s.cc.purdue.edu, or Kent Sullivan at
>        corvair@ec.ecn.purdue.edu)
>
>--
>Rob Tillotson				...ihnp4!killer!sentinel

I also have been using the 2.0 Version of Kermit and really like it.
I cannnot seem to find the way to do any auto-dialing with Kermit.

I load a program I wrote myself and login to the system and as soon as
the login is sucessful, I cycle the power on the C-64 and boot Kermit.
It works OK, I guess.  I am going to try to relocate Kermit somewhere else
in memory and add my auto-dial routines to the boot program.

Is there an easier way of doing this?

Also, Why does my unix vax say that the Termcap for vt100 not have a sysline
ability?  Can Someone send me their .login that works with the normal sysline?

I enjoy seeing a little more traffic on this newsgroup.... Let's keep it
going!

 "The answer to life, the universe and everything isn't 42, it's  ^q!"
    Bruce Cantrall                Astronautics Technology Center
    Madison, WI  USA              (608)221-9001
{seismo,harvard,ames}!uwvax!astroatc!brucec or ihnp4!nicmad!astroatc!brucec

OBTW, I am using a Hayes Smartmodem 1200 with an Aprotek interface on my 64.
Not a 1660 or 1670......

sentinel@killer.UUCP (The Sentinel) (08/18/87)

In article <401@astroatc.UUCP>, brucec@astroatc.UUCP (Bruce Cantrall) writes:
[inclusions and counter-inclusions deleted to save space and time]

> I also have been using the 2.0 Version of Kermit and really like it.
> I cannnot seem to find the way to do any auto-dialing with Kermit.

    Well, it's not your fault that you can't find any way to autodial with
Kermit, because there isn't any.  Except for major changes to the screen
drivers and a few minor things elsewhere, Kermit 2.0 is largely the same as
the versions that went before it... the earlier versions were meant mainly
as file transfer utilities, not as general purpose terminal programs, so no
support for autodialing was ever added.
    As far as I know, autodialing is not on the list of improvements for the
next release of C-64 Kermit.  You can suggest it, though.  But I don't think
that a full autodialer will ever be added... perhaps a command like
"dial 555-1234" might be included, but that would hardly be better than going
to terminal mode and typing ATDTwhatever (since you indicated you use a
Hayes modem).

> I load a program I wrote myself and login to the system and as soon as
> the login is sucessful, I cycle the power on the C-64 and boot Kermit.
> It works OK, I guess.  I am going to try to relocate Kermit somewhere else
> in memory and add my auto-dial routines to the boot program.
>
> Is there an easier way of doing this?

    Not really.  Perhaps you could try having your program LOAD and RUN
the main Kermit program... it will LOAD just fine without the autoboot
loader, and it can be RUN directly.  If your dialing program is in BASIC,
just end it with a LOAD"KERMIT",8...

> Also, Why does my unix vax say that the Termcap for vt100 not have a sysline
> ability?  Can Someone send me their .login that works with the normal sysline?

    I'm not sure whether a real VT-100 actually has a status line or not, but
the regular Unix termcap file does not recognize it regardless.  Anyway, the
required stuff to add oon to the VT-100 termcap definition is:

    "hs:ts=\E7\E[m\E[25;0H:fs=\E8:ds=\E7\E[25;0H\E[2K\E8"

    You need to add this to the regular VT-100 definition.  You can either do
it on the fly with a statement in your .login, or create a separate entry.  I
prefer the latter method, as I have built up a library of terminal definitions
for various C-64 and C-128 programs, and various configurations of those
programs (i.e. one with reverse video, one with high intensity, etc.).  Or
you can get your system administrator to add another entry to the master
termcap file, for "VT-100 with status line".

> I enjoy seeing a little more traffic on this newsgroup.... Let's keep it
> going!
>

>  "The answer to life, the universe and everything isn't 42, it's  ^q!"
>     Bruce Cantrall                Astronautics Technology Center
>     Madison, WI  USA              (608)221-9001
> {seismo,harvard,ames}!uwvax!astroatc!brucec or ihnp4!nicmad!astroatc!brucec

--
Rob Tillotson				...ihnp4!killer!sentinel
3922-1 Newport Ave.				-or-
Fort Wayne, IN 46805			...rutgers!unirot!sentinel
(219) 483-2722				    (top one preferred)