[comp.sys.cbm] C128 Terminal Emulators

tee@mtuxo.UUCP (T.EBERSOLE) (08/25/87)

I have been having trouble using the vt100 emulator which came with
the Commodore 1200 baud modem (1670 ?) I have. I was wondering what
types of emulators readers of comp.sys.cbm use, and what type of
termcap or terminfo entry to use. For instance, there has been some
discussions of Kermit 2.0 recently. Is this only used for file transfers,
or does it behave as a terminal and have an appropriate termcap?

What I would prefer is a HP2621 emulator similar to CTRM for MS-DOS
machines, which has multipage scrolling, 80 columns, and a robust
emulation which won't take perverse delight in screwing up vi and other
applications. Does anyone know of such an emulator?

Thanks for your help.

--
Tim Ebersole ...!ihnp4!mtuxo!tee

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) (08/26/87)

In article <605@mtuxo.UUCP> tee@mtuxo.UUCP (T.EBERSOLE) writes:
>I have been having trouble using the vt100 emulator which came with
>the Commodore 1200 baud modem (1670 ?) I have. I was wondering what
>types of emulators readers of comp.sys.cbm use...

I have been using MICRO-VT V1.7, a shareware package.  I've found it
performs it's terminal duties well with programs such as emacs.  It is
packed with features that enable you to customize it, set up a phone
directory with local telephone listings, and XMODEM protocol for file
transfers.  Your local user group's public domain disk library will
probably have copies.  You might also be able to find it available for
downloading on a BBS.

>types of emulators readers of comp.sys.cbm use, and what type of
>termcap or terminfo entry to use. For instance, there has been some

I've been following this discussion too.  I tried to make SYSLINE work
for the longest time.  I many different TERMCAP entries before I hit
on a solution.  Check the TERMCAP file on your system for VT100-s-bot.
This will allow SYSLINE to direct it's output to the bottom line of
the screen.  I also found that if I set both TERM and TERMCAP, I have
problems and have to "unsetenv TERMCAP" to make things work again.

>discussions of Kermit 2.0 recently. Is this only used for file transfers,

Kermit 2.0 follows up a long tradition of Kermit programs for the C64.
Version 2.0 is the latest.  It does emulate a VT100.  It will also
drive the 128's 80 column screen although the program is run from 64
mode.  Except for the 80 column screen sometimes flashes, I've had no
problems with it.

>What I would prefer is a HP2621 emulator similar to CTRM for MS-DOS
>machines, which has multipage scrolling, 80 columns, and a robust
>emulation which won't take perverse delight in screwing up vi and other
>applications. Does anyone know of such an emulator?

No, but it sounds like fun!

Randy Winchester   randy@heracles.UUCP