[comp.sys.cbm] cbm keyboard from Radio Shack

jsm@phoenix.PRINCETON.EDU (John Scott McCauley Jr.) (09/05/87)

Hello,
	I bought a keyboard from Radio Shack that was clearly made for some
Commodore product. It fits into my C64 and has the same connector that my
original keyboard has, but when I plugged it in, it didn't work -- the key
encodings are different. The keyboard is grey and has the C= key and the 4
function keys. The F4 key is labelled HELP, however, and the <- key (left
top corner) is labelled ESC.

	Does anyone know what machine this keyboard is for (VIC?? PET??) and
if it easily can be adapted for the C64?

	Thanks,
		Scott

jsm@phoenix.princeton.edu
jsm@blee.lcs.mit.edu

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (09/10/87)

In article <684@phoenix.PRINCETON.EDU>, jsm@phoenix.PRINCETON.EDU (John Scott McCauley Jr.) writes:
> 	I bought a keyboard from Radio Shack that was clearly made for some
> Commodore product. It fits into my C64 and has the same connector that my
> original keyboard has, but when I plugged it in, it didn't work -- the key
> encodings are different. The keyboard is grey and has the C= key and the 4
> function keys. The F4 key is labelled HELP, however, and the <- key (left
> top corner) is labelled ESC.
>
> 	Does anyone know what machine this keyboard is for (VIC?? PET??) and
> if it easily can be adapted for the C64?

They are from the C16.  I heard they can be made to work by
rearranging the wires where they are soldered into the pc board,
haven't tried it though.

Jim harvey
Michigan Bell Telephone

ihnp4!mibte!jbh