[comp.sys.cbm] memory map conflict....

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (09/18/87)

On page 265 of my Programm's Ref (C-64), for the map at the bottom, it says
that for loram=1,hiram=1,game=0,exrom=0, an 8K ROM cartridge is switched into
$8000-$A000.

On page 266, for the map at the bottom, it says that for
loram=1,hiram=1,game=0,exrom=0, a 16K ROM cartridge is switched into
$8000-c000.

Same signals, two different memory maps??? Something's not right here!

Also, another question -- is the *SRQIN line ever used, at all, in a Commodore
64? Is its connection to the *FLAG line on CIA#1 ever used in the disk
routines of either the C64 or C128?  Seems that the fast disk mode clickin'
away would give that *FLAG line a lot of excercise!

--
Eric Green   elg@usl.CSNET     "... hanging on in quiet desperation
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg          is the english way,

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (09/21/87)

This is a re-posting of something that I originally posted last Friday
after a system crash- the system date was fubar, and you may not have seen it.

In article <1556@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:

> On page 265 of my Programm's Ref (C-64), for the map at the bottom, it says
> that for loram=1,hiram=1,game=0,exrom=0, an 8K ROM cartridge is switched into
> $8000-$A000.
>
> On page 266, for the map at the bottom, it says that for
> loram=1,hiram=1,game=0,exrom=0, a 16K ROM cartridge is switched into
> $8000-c000.
>
> Same signals, two different memory maps??? Something's not right here!
>
> Also, another question -- is the *SRQIN line ever used, at all, in a Commodore
> 64? Is its connection to the *FLAG line on CIA#1 ever used in the disk
> routines of either the C64 or C128?  Seems that the fast disk mode clickin'
> away would give that *FLAG line a lot of excercise!

You found an old typo in the manual- the memory map with 8K of cartridge
ROM should specifiy /game=1, not /game=0  (not, these are inverted signals).
The map with 16K of cartridge ROM is correct as it is.

The SRQ line is simply passed to the user port in the 64 *and* 64 mode of
the 128- this allows little Johnny's weather station to work.  In 128 mode,
this line is used by the fast/burst serial routines- little Johnny's station
won't work so good here.

Fred Bowen			uucp:	{ihnp4|rutgers|caip}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	beats me
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

cg13+@andrew.cmu.edu (Curtis C. Galloway) (09/25/87)

>On page 265 of my Programm's Ref (C-64), for the map at the bottom, it says
>that for loram=1,hiram=1,game=0,exrom=0, an 8K ROM cartridge is switched
into
>$8000-$A000.
>
>On page 266, for the map at the bottom, it says that for
>loram=1,hiram=1,game=0,exrom=0, a 16K ROM cartridge is switched into
>$8000-c000.
>
>Same signals, two different memory maps??? Something's not right here!

All is well.  Note that $A000-$8000 = 8192 bytes = 8K, while $C000-$8000 =
16384 bytes = 16 K.  The 16K ROM takes up twice the space of the 8K ROM, so
the memory maps must be different -- but they both start at the same address,
$8000.

--Curt Galloway
cg13+@andrew.cmu.edu
...ucbvax!andrew.cmu.edu!cg13+