[comp.sys.cbm] 1764 RAM expansion

logden@fluke.UUCP (09/17/87)

I have another question related to geos. The 1764 RAM Expander, is it just
memory chips on a board? Or is it more complicated than that?

What I am really driving at is: can I build one of these puppies at home?

I remember in the old VIC 20 days, I built up a board that had additional
memory that when populated gave me around 35k (3K +16K +16K). I also built an
expansion board that allowed me to have 4 or 5 of these memory boards, plus
other cartridges all plugged in at once, and then I could chose memory sizein
blocks of 8k or cartridges.

Anyway, a board I can make (no wirewrap here!), But is it just a matter of
putting more chips on the expansion bus?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Logden

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (09/18/87)

In article <1791@sputnik.COM>, logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:

> I have another question related to geos. The 1764 RAM Expander, is it just
> memory chips on a board? Or is it more complicated than that?
>
> What I am really driving at is: can I build one of these puppies at home?

Yes, it's more complicated than that.  The 17xx RAM expanders are controlled
by a DMA device, which provides both DRAM refresh and the interface to the
host system.  The host's processor does not access the expansion RAM- you
have to program the DMA controller and it will read or write the chunk of
memory you specify.  This sounds complicated, but what it provides in return
is very fast data transfer- much faster than the processor can provide by
addressing each byte.  The DMA controller is a custom IC which, I beleive,
is not generally for sale to the public.  The RAM expanders are reasonably
priced, however, especially for the C64 version which comes with a beefier
power supply necessary for supporting the card.

The more adventuresome techie can probably stuff more RAM (up to 512K- the
DMA controller's limit) onto the board however.

Fred Bowen			uucp:	{ihnp4|rutgers|caip}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	beats me
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

simon@ukma.UUCP (09/25/87)

	Speaking of the 1764 Ram expander, can the 128 use the RAM it it while
	in 64 mode?  Can it access it in 128 mode?   What about in CP/M mode?
	Can it be a substituted for the 128's RAM expansion or is the DMA chip
	different???

	For that matter, if they are different, can a good techie wire in both
	expanders on a 128 for more then 640k?
										simon.

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (10/01/87)

> Speaking of the 1764 Ram expander, can the 128 use the RAM it it while
> in 64 mode?  Can it access it in 128 mode?   What about in CP/M mode?
> Can it be a substituted for the 128's RAM expansion or is the DMA chip
> different???
> For that matter, if they are different, can a good techie wire in both
> expanders on a 128 for more then 640k?

The boards for the 17xx RAM expanders are basically the same, except for one
resistor and, of course, the amount of RAM.  There were several different
layouts of the PCB, the most noticeable difference being the packaging of
the DMA controller (8726), DIP vs. quad pack.

A good techie could, indeed, modify a 1764 for use on a C128.  All you gotta
do is add one 390 ohm resistor at location R4.  This is necessary to tweek
the relationship of the dot clock to phi-2, which differs slightly between
C64 and C128's.

Once you have either a 1700 modified as above, or a 1700/1750, you can use
it in any of the 3 modes of the C128: 64, 128, or CP/M.  CP/M makes good
use of it as a RAM disk- simply address as device M:.   In native C128
mode, BASIC provides 3 commands (FETCH,STASH, and SWAP) specifically for
talking to the DMA controller.  The upgrade 128 ROMs enhance this further
by allowing full access to all internal banks of memory.