[comp.sys.cbm] Commodore 4064

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (09/28/87)

I recently picked up two of the surplus alledged Commodore 64
circuit boards that have been advertised in Computer Shopper and
other places.  The ones I have came from Fair Radio in Lima Ohio
and were only about twenty bucks each.

They seem to work fine, I have one installed in my old VIC-20
case.

They have no color ram, no sound chip, no RF modulator, no switch
and no power connector.  The power up message is
COMMODORE 4064 BASIC 2.0
The boards are marked 1982 Rev A.

Could someone from Commodore tell me the history of these boards?
My guess is that thew were originally intended for the Educator
64, only it was going to be a PET followup, thereby getting the
traditional PET model number (40 columns, 64K).  The Educators
being sold around here seem to have the full C64 board inside.

Jim Harvey
Michigan Bell

ihnp4!mibte!jbh
or
ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (10/02/87)

In article <2318@mibte.UUCP>, jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
> I recently picked up two of the surplus alledged Commodore 64
> circuit boards that have been advertised in Computer Shopper
>
> They have no color ram, no sound chip, no RF modulator, no switch
> and no power connector.  The power up message is
> COMMODORE 4064 BASIC 2.0
> The boards are marked 1982 Rev A.
>
> Could someone from Commodore tell me the history of these boards?

They are still selling Educator's around there?  >Geez<   The reason
the boards were missing all that junk is 'cause they were intended to
be stuck inside PET cases, which of course have their own power & switch,
monochrome monitor, and no speaker.  A silly attempt to take the
education market by storm, I suppose.

( You and the fella with the $3 CP/M cartridge should get together :-)

Fred Bowen			uucp:	{ihnp4|rutgers|caip}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	beats me
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380