[comp.sys.cbm] mouse replace Koalapad??

gjs@mtgzz.UUCP (g.j.shevchuk) (10/01/87)

My Koala pad is beginning to show its age after a few years, even though
I wouldn't characterize its average use as heavy.  The cursor on the
screen no longer stands still, but constantly twitches.  Since my
kids' interest in using Koalapaint has suddenly been rekindled,
I'd like to know if one of the new Commodore mice could replace the
Koala pad, or are the signals they generate different?

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <3099@mtgzz.UUCP>, gjs@mtgzz.UUCP (g.j.shevchuk) writes:
> My Koala pad is beginning to show its age after a few years, even though
> I wouldn't characterize its average use as heavy.  The cursor on the
> screen no longer stands still, but constantly twitches.  Since my
> kids' interest in using Koalapaint has suddenly been rekindled,
> I'd like to know if one of the new Commodore mice could replace the
> Koala pad, or are the signals they generate different?

Neither the 1350 or 1351 mouse will replace a Koala Pad.  A set of game
paddles would, but that's awkward to use.   You should be able to find
an inexpensive (maybe used) pad if you hunt around.  Some trackballs
work well, too.  (Ask the guys who just bought the $3 CP/M cartridge or the
Educator 64 board where to find stuff like this :-)

Just a thought- it might not be your pad.  A flakey SID chip or even a sick
power supply could cause these symptoms as well.  Check your pad on someone
else's C64 if you can.

Fred Bowen			uucp:	{ihnp4|rutgers|caip}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	beats me
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380