[comp.sys.cbm] Old CP/M card

kocyan@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/25/87)

Hi!

This summer I went to a computer-fleamarket (no, not little mechanical
insects) and picked up an old Commodore Z-80 card for $3.  Unfortunately,
it did not come with any software, documentation, or anything.  My old,
dog-earred PRG includes a short program on how to turn it on, but that's
all.

Does anybody have any experience with one of these cards?  I tried calling
Commodore several times, but they seemed to have taken their phone off
the hook.  What can I do with it?  What software does it run (if any)?
Am I wasting my time?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Rob.

kocyan@topaz.rutgers.edu

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (09/28/87)

In article <15032@topaz.rutgers.edu>, kocyan@topaz.rutgers.edu (Kocyan) writes:
> This summer I went to a computer-fleamarket (no, not little mechanical
> insects) and picked up an old Commodore Z-80 card for $3.  Unfortunately,
> it did not come with any software, documentation, or anything.  My old,
> the hook.  What can I do with it?  What software does it run (if any)?
> Am I wasting my time?

I don't have one, but from what I have read about the cartridge....

Oh, well, it's only three dollars.

Apparently there was never much you could do with them, and since very
few of them are out there, nobody is going to try and market any new
products to work with it.  I think I remember hearing that Commodore
itself only ever sold one software item that used the cartridge, but I
can't remember what it was.  Part of the problem was that the 1541 disk
drive isn't able to read "standard" CP/M disks, so having the CP/M
capability did NOT open up the 64 to existing CP/M software.

Your only hope is to look on bulletin boards and online services for
public-domain, home-grown software that individuals who own the thing
have written.

--
     Dave Fiske                     \|  /_/ Gee, sorry.
BRS Information Technologies      ---<_/   I didn't mean to

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein MAGAZINES) (09/29/87)

In article <15032@topaz.rutgers.edu> kocyan@topaz.rutgers.edu (Kocyan) writes:

>This summer I went to a computer-fleamarket (no, not little mechanical
>insects) and picked up an old Commodore Z-80 card for $3.  Unfortunately,
>it did not come with any software, documentation, or anything.  My old,
>dog-earred PRG includes a short program on how to turn it on, but that's
>all.
>
>Does anybody have any experience with one of these cards?  I tried calling
>Commodore several times, but they seemed to have taken their phone off
>the hook.  What can I do with it?  What software does it run (if any)?
>Am I wasting my time?
>
>Rob.

  If you are refering to the Commodore produced CP/M cartridge for the C64,
 then you need a disk (the CP/M operating system) and manual yet. You plugged
 the cartridge in, powered up, stuck the disk in the ol drive, and loaded
 the CP/M operating system. There were/are 2 drawbacks here - 1: it would
 run CP/M but your disk drive was still reading Commodore format disks, this
 means you wont find any software to run - 2: the version of CP/M was a old
 version that is about 1 or 2 revs old by now.

  I know the disk and manual are no longer avail from Commodore. So happy
 hunting and good luck!

--
   Dan Schein			 	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore Business Machines		or: {allegra|burdvax}!cbmvax!schein

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (10/01/87)

> This summer I went to a computer-fleamarket (no, not little mechanical
> insects) and picked up an old Commodore Z-80 card for $3.  [...]
> Does anybody have any experience with one of these cards?  I tried calling
> Commodore several times, but they seemed to have taken their phone off
> the hook.  What can I do with it?  What software does it run (if any)?
> Am I wasting my time?

This question comes up rather often.  The usual recommendation is basically
to chuck it, due to unreliable operation and no software in 1541 format.
If your C64 is fairly new (i.e., has a VIC chip of recent vintage), you
most likely will have problems- like not even being able to boot the sucker.

Since you do not have even a disk to accompany your CP/M, unless you can find
one somewhere you might consider using the cartridge for a door-stop.  In case
anyone was wondering, no, the C128 CP/M will not work with this.

If you do have a card and a disk and it seems to boot up, well there is new
hope for obtaining software if you can find someone with a 1571. Using a
nifty package like Big Blue Reader or Bob's Term Pro, you can copy files
from MFM formats (most generic CP/M stuff) to a 1541 rather easily.  Perhaps
a dealer with both CP/M software to sell and an idle 1571 could help you.

Rotsa Ruck.  Perhaps someone on the net, using their C64 CP/M cartridge as
a door stop will send this poor fella his disks & manuals?

Fred Bowen			uucp:	{ihnp4|rutgers|caip}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	beats me
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

dar@cblpf.ATT.COM (David A. Roth) (10/02/87)

In article <1895@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) writes:
| In article <15032@topaz.rutgers.edu>, kocyan@topaz.rutgers.edu (Kocyan) writes:
| | This summer I went to a computer-fleamarket (no, not little mechanical
| | insects) and picked up an old Commodore Z-80 card for $3.  Unfortunately,
| | it did not come with any software, documentation, or anything.  My old,
| | the hook.  What can I do with it?  What software does it run (if any)?
| | Am I wasting my time?
|
| I don't have one, but from what I have read about the cartridge....
|
| Oh, well, it's only three dollars.
|
| Apparently there was never much you could do with them, and since very
| few of them are out there, nobody is going to try and market any new
| products to work with it.  I think I remember hearing that Commodore
| itself only ever sold one software item that used the cartridge, but I
| can't remember what it was.  Part of the problem was that the 1541 disk
| drive isn't able to read "standard" CP/M disks, so having the CP/M
| capability did NOT open up the 64 to existing CP/M software.
|
| Your only hope is to look on bulletin boards and online services for
| public-domain, home-grown software that individuals who own the thing
| have written.
|
| --
|      Dave Fiske                     \|  /_/ Gee, sorry.
| BRS Information Technologies      ---<_/   I didn't mean to
|      Latham, NY                    _/ \    crack your screen!
| ihnp4!philabs!nyfca1!brspyr1!davef /   >-   Heh, heh, heh.

I have the complete old CP/M package including manuals and disks. I
have been interested in selling it for sometime now but have not had
any buyers. I have a C128 now and have no need for the thing. If you
are interested send me e-mail. I paid something like $60.00+ for it
new.

AT&T Bell Laboratories
David A. Roth
Columbus, Ohio
uucp:	cbosgd!cblpf!dar

cuda@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Nelson) (10/08/87)

With all the discussion on CPM cards and their uselessness...  I have
a Z80 based S-100 system that I would like to write programs for.  They
would have to be in assembler and then burned in an E-PROM.  Sooo is
the CPM card a good way to write, assemble, and otherwise create Z80
based stuff?  If any one would happen to have an old card plus any
documentation for 10 - 15 bucks + shipping I'd like to hear from you.

Mike Nelson
ihnp4!ihlpg!cuda
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville IL