[comp.sys.cbm] hp thinkjet and C64C

judah@bentley.UUCP (JS Kaminetsky) (10/16/87)

What do I need to connect a HP Thinkjet printer
to a Commodore 64C.

The Commodore 64C has a serial port for disk drive
and printer chained, if I remember correctly
but the connector is not standard RS232.
My kids use it and I haven't looked at it for a long time.

Do I need a converter?

Is it expensive?

bentley!judah

howie@pnet02.CTS.COM (Howard Herman) (10/19/87)

Wouldn't the lasar use the standard Centronics connection?
If so, any of the readily available Xetec interfaces should
work out fine.  It goes from serial to centronics. Someone
using the Okidata Lasar did have to make up a new printer
file, but it works fine, with one bug still being worked out.
Apparently setting up for use with proportional fonts is
difficult, but possible. BTW, cost of the interface is about
$30.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!howie
INET: howie@pnet02.CTS.COM

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (10/19/87)

If the Thinkjet is an RS232 (serial), not HPIB/IEEE488, you should
be able to hook it to the C64 "RS232" port, through one of the
standard converters that makes the C64 port into real RS232 levels.
See other discussions on the net for pointers to such converters;
I made my own, and have indeed used it with a Thinkjet.  Jameco
in Belmont (I think), CA sells one, and I'm sure others do, too;
about $35, I think.

Tom Bruhns
uucp: !hplabs!hplsla!tomb
Above is my personal reply, and is not intended to reflect official
Hewlett-Packard policy or positions.

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (10/20/87)

> / hplsla:comp.sys.cbm / howie@pnet02.CTS.COM (Howard Herman) /  4:30 am  Oct 19, 1987 /
> Wouldn't the lasar use the standard Centronics connection?

HP ThinkJet != HP LaserJet.  Thinkjet is an ink jet printer, and comes
in four flavors: HPIB (aka IEEE488), RS232, HPIL (proprietary HP
interface) and Centronics parallel.  So in my note above, I, too,
misspoke!  If it's a Centronics interface, you'll need one of the
standard Centronics interfaces commonly available for the C64.

LaserJets come with a dual (RS232-Centronics) interface (and cost many
times what a c64 does!)

Tom Bruhns
uucp: !hplabs!hplsla!tomb

dwl10@amdahl.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (10/20/87)

In article <6580005@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>If the Thinkjet is an RS232 (serial), not HPIB/IEEE488, you should
>be able to hook it to the C64 "RS232" port, through one of the
>standard converters that makes the C64 port into real RS232 levels.
>See other discussions on the net for pointers to such converters;
>I made my own, and have indeed used it with a Thinkjet.  Jameco
>in Belmont (I think), CA sells one, and I'm sure others do, too;
>about $35, I think.
>
>Tom Bruhns
>uucp: !hplabs!hplsla!tomb
>Above is my personal reply, and is not intended to reflect official
>Hewlett-Packard policy or positions.

CARDCO makes (made?) a RS232 interface that connected to the
SERIAL port, so it still looked like a "real" printer. Last one
I saw was at Toys-<backwards>R-Us. I have no idea wath the
price is, or the Model number.

                  "Familiarity breeds attempt"

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,oliveb}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most emineericallyd thd t

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (10/21/87)

Try and find a copy of this month's Transactor. There is an article
on building your own RS232 interface. I have a friend who built one
(for about $15 worth of parts) and it works fine. Don't attempt it
if you cannot read a schematic and use a soldering iron; it isn't
hard, but it is time consuming (3 - 4 hours).
Hal   Netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet