[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 drive with C-Power 64

prindle@NADC.ARPA (10/30/87)

From: prindle@nadc.arpa (Frank Prindle)

In addition to using the 1581 drive with C-Power 128 (i.e. putting the compiler,
tools, and libraries on the work disk with your own programs), I have also done
the same thing with C Power 64.  As mentioned by someone in a previous posting,
C Power 64 differs from C Power 128 in that it is *copy protected*.  Therefore,
you must figure out how to move that copy protection element onto the 1581
yourself; additionally, since the implementation of that copy protection
scheme uses the DOS job queue, and the prime locations for the job queue are
in different places for the 1581 drive (as documented in it's manual), you
also must modify the copy protection code to use the new job queue locations.
All of this copy protection relates only to the "COMPILER" program.  Once you
have overcome these hurdles, the advantages of this scheme are similar (but
not as great as) to C Power 128.  Compiler passes load 10-20% faster, library
searching is quite a bit faster, compilation itself is slightly faster,
no disk swapping, and room for about 130 files or about 600K of user programs
(whichever comes first) per disk.
Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (10/31/87)

in article <5366@rutgers.rutgers.edu>, prindle@NADC.ARPA says:
> the same thing with C Power 64.  As mentioned by someone in a previous posting,
> C Power 64 differs from C Power 128 in that it is *copy protected*.  Therefore,

I don't believe that the Spinnaker version (Power C) is copy protected. Maybe
it is, and I just didn't notice (I haven't loaded up the '64 version of the
compiler yet, just the '128 version). But when I made my backup copies, with
an ordinary whole-disk copier (not a nibbler or anything), it didn't complain.
Considering that my copy costed only $34.95....

Does anybody know if C-Power/128 uses the $1300-$1400 area? I want to put my
new DOS vectors there to use a relocated RAM-disk driver, and from my
disassembly, it doesn't look like that area is used, but I really haven't had
time to look (I've been vedy vedy busy lately).

Which reminds me: George Robbins, when will we see that developer disk with
that new assembler and all those RAM disk drivers!

BTW, if anybody knows something about companies manufacturing/marketing
C-64/C-128 hardware, I'd be interested in hearing from you, via personal
mail... we have a couple of hardware gizmos under development (a prototype
actually exists of one of them, although the transparent device drivers are
still being written), and pretty soon it'll be time to toss'em onto the
market, either through an existing firm, or a startup (no, NOT me, I'm an
engineer, not a business flunky).

--
     Eric Green   elg@usl.CSNET      Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191
     {cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg       Lafayette, LA 70509

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (11/02/87)

In article <5366@rutgers.rutgers.edu> prindle@NADC.ARPA writes:

>C Power 64 differs from C Power 128 in that it is *copy protected*.  Therefore,
>you must figure out how to move that copy protection element onto the 1581
>yourself; additionally, since the implementation of that copy protection
>scheme uses the DOS job queue, and the prime locations for the job queue are
>in different places for the 1581 drive (as documented in it's manual), you
>also must modify the copy protection code to use the new job queue locations.

Seems like if you know how to modify the copy protection scheme, it would be
less trouble to * remove it altogether * than to transfer it to a different
disk.  Am I missing something obvious (or even subtle)?

BTW, I finally got Small-C transferred to my 1581.  It runs just fine.  Not
only is it not copy-protected, it's FREE.  I even have the compiler source.
Using the 1581 & a 1750 RAMdisk makes CP/M pretty painless.  With source in
hand, I hope to make a variant generate 6502 assembler under C128 native mode
(or DEVPAK, if it ever comes out) or maybe even GeoProgrammer.

	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
	Anyone can be a market analyst.  The trick is getting paid up flowe