[comp.sys.cbm] Help for ELITE game on C-64

gfs@abvax.UUCP (Greg F. Shay) (11/12/87)

Anyone who has ELITE from Firebird for the C-64 will agree it is a fantastic
3-D game.  I particularly enjoy the opportunity to practice space dogfighting
(and docking).
	However, and you may agree, for the casual player, the game is
demanding.  Out-gunned and out-numbered, space is a dangerous place.
Ever imagine how fun it would be to go after those pirates with a REAL
weapon, like a military laser?   I succumbed to temptation.  Rather than
leave the game sit and not be played (as I was doing),  I broke into the
code to give myself just a little more cash to get started with.
	If there is anyone that shares an interest here, and could use $25,000
or so starting the game, let me know and I can provide the 'how-to's'.

Oh, by the way, blasting those pirates IS a heck of a lot of fun, and a docking
computer keeps you from spilling your hard won cargo all over space!

					G.F.Shay
					7508 McKinley St.
					Mentor Oh, 44060

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (11/16/87)

In article <112@abvax.UUCP> gfs@abvax.UUCP (Greg F. Shay) writes:

>Anyone who has ELITE from Firebird for the C-64 will agree it is a fantastic
>3-D game.  I particularly enjoy the opportunity to practice space dogfighting
>(and docking).

Amazing play and graphics, indeed!

>	However, and you may agree, for the casual player, the game is
>demanding.  Out-gunned and out-numbered, space is a dangerous place.
>Ever imagine how fun it would be to go after those pirates with a REAL
>weapon, like a military laser?   I succumbed to temptation.  Rather than
>leave the game sit and not be played (as I was doing),  I broke into the
>code to give myself just a little more cash to get started with.

It may seem like it is hard, but I think that much of the pleasure in
the game comes from solving these problems.  For instance, if you are
being killed quite a bit because you don't have a military laser, you
might want to try using unrelated methods to solve the problem; i.e.
avoid the pirates by trading in safer zones.  Much of the game play
later on is based on one learning to cope with these kinds of
hardships.  For example, one cannot get around having 10 different
pirates all attacking you at once in anarchic systems by getting
better harware...only old fashioned know-how and practice will
overcome these difficulties.  It *is* possible to get by, and not that
hard (I did it, and I don't have all that much patience), and the
skills you develop early will help you later on.

My point is that it isn't all that hard to work up to a military laser
the hard way, and it can be very satisying.

>Oh, by the way, blasting those pirates IS a heck of a lot of fun, and a docking
>computer keeps you from spilling your hard won cargo all over space!

Yes, a docking computer is a great device and save a lot of times, but
I got a lot of satisfaction in blowing the h*ll out of pirates with a
wimpy laser (back in the early days ;-)

>					G.F.Shay
>					7508 McKinley St.
>					Mentor Oh, 44060