[comp.sys.cbm] Backslash char

moyersc@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Carol Anne Moyers) (11/06/87)

How can get my C64 to type a backslash
character?

jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jon George Seidl) (11/09/87)

In article <927@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> moyersc@ladder.UUCP (Carol Anne Moyers) writes:

>How can get my C64 to type a backslash
>character?

You don't, unless you are using some kind of program that provides this
ability (or you have changed your character set). If you need it for
telecomputing, the kermit versions for the C64 offer a backslash. I
believe it is under the disguise of the British pound symbol on these
programs. Actually, the decimal ascii equivalent of '\' is 134. If you
can find any way of sending decimal 134 through the modem, you have sent a '\'.

In Kermit, here is the C64 keypress to character sent map (I think, hard
to say, since I don't have my C64 in front of me at the moment):

			C64		Char.
			---		----

			Shift-minus	  {
			Shift-plus	  }
			Brit. Pound	  \
			f1		  _
			f2		  |
			f3		  `
			f4		  ~

I believe '{' and '}' can also be found under f5 and f6 respectively.

					Sure hope this is what you needed,

							Jon

---------------

    \_/ \/\/ - /\/\ilwaukee      	BRING BACK MAX, PLEASE!!!!

    arpanet: jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
     bitnet: jon%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet
       UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!csd4!jon

jrg@hpirs.HP.COM (Jeff Glasson) (11/09/87)

The Pound Sterling character is the ASCII for backslash.
Any terminal emulator I have seen will pass a ASCII backslash to
the host if you hit the Pound Sterling key.

Some emulators (kermit, VIDTEX, and others) actually display a backslash
on the C64 screen.

If you want a backslash for your BASIC program, you'll have to generate
your own character set.

Jeff Glasson

elg@killer.UUCP (11/16/87)

in article <3421@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jon George Seidl) says:
> In article <927@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> moyersc@ladder.UUCP (Carol Anne Moyers) writes:
>>How can get my C64 to type a backslash
>>character?
>>
> You don't, unless you are using some kind of program that provides this
> ability (or you have changed your character set). If you need it for
> telecomputing, the kermit versions for the C64 offer a backslash. I
> believe it is under the disguise of the British pound symbol on these
> programs. Actually, the decimal ascii equivalent of '\' is 134. If you
> can find any way of sending decimal 134 through the modem, you have sent a '\'.

Actually, the character code for the english pound symbol is 134. So if your
program uses the standard keyscan, hitting the english pound symbol is like
hitting the backslash, although once I encountered a brain-dead program that
re-mapped the english pound symbol into either the escape key or a break
key.

Special characters such as the curly brackets {}, squiggle ~ and
back-quote `, however, are completely terminal dependent.....

--
     Eric Green   elg@usl.CSNET      Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191
     {cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg       Lafayette, LA 70509