[comp.sys.cbm] Broken Commodores

choong@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Choong Huei Seow) (12/02/87)

I do not often get to read this newsgroup so this may have come up
before.  I had a problem with my Commodore: When I turned it on the
screen would come up with the normal colors but no words would appear
and it would not respond to the keyboard.  I brought it in and got it
repaired.  My friend now has the same problem with his Commodore.  Is
this a common problem with a known fix?  If so I would like to try and
fix it myself (having it repaired would cost more than half of what a
new machine would cost.)  Does anybody have any idea what the problem
might be?

If possible could you also send replies directly to me at:
cfj@xx.lcs.mit.edu

(As I said before I do not get to read this often, I am currently
reading it via a friends account.)

Thanks.

jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jon George Seidl) (12/02/87)

In article <1791@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> choong@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Choong Huei Seow) writes:

>I do not often get to read this newsgroup so this may have come up
>before.  I had a problem with my Commodore: When I turned it on the
>screen would come up with the normal colors but no words would appear
>and it would not respond to the keyboard.

This isn't a response to the above. However, it is a little note of
interest related to above.

I've found that the first thing to check is the power supply with
C64s when they go down. If you have the industry standard of electronics
caked in plastic-gook, you will probably (if not already) have problems
with the power supply over-heating. When mine went the symptoms were
a blank screen of light blue (I think) without any border and the power
light would not come on.

						Jon

	'If bitnet bounces, c'est la vie...we're breaking in new nodes.'

    \_/ \/\/ - /\/\ilwaukee      	BRING BACK MAX, PLEASE!!!!

    arpanet: jon@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
     bitnet: jon%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@wiscmac3.bitnet (vms3.macc.wisc.edu)
       UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!csd4!jon