[comp.sys.cbm] Atari ST or Amiga ? Help !

mfs@edison.GE.COM (Martin Sant) (11/17/87)

Hello fellow computer persons!

I am C-64 owner looking to buy another computer.  I have been looking
at both the Atari ST and Amiga.  For the life of me I cannot figure
out which one to get.  I will be using the computer for MIDI stuff;
sequencing, patch editing and music software development.  I know the
ST has the MIDI port built in and has more support, but is it really
a better machine?  I am attracted to the Amiga because of it's
multi-tasking operating system, but at the same time the ST is a
lower cost machine (I think).  Any suggestions for a MIDI nut ?
--
Mar Tan
GE Fanuc

870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) (11/19/87)

I am not a MIDI expert by any means, but I do know the ST pretty good. All
I can do is pass on what I and alot of other ST owners have learned. The ST
is a very good computer, the support for the MIDI port is very good, I know
that there is several very good software packages out for it, and most of
them do not but "copy protection" in your way if you decide to use a hard disk
like myself. You must remember that if you do get the "Amiba" you will have
to dish out the extra bucks for the MIDI interface(if they have one??).
Give the ST a look over, as ol'Jack says "Power without the Price".
Also it is a known fact that the ST is by far more supported than the Amiga.
Give the Amiga a look over as well, it is a nice machine.
later
Barry

P.S. Good luck with whatever machine you by!!

gibson@trwrb.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <1226@edison.GE.COM> mfs@edison.GE.COM (Martin Sant) writes:
>Hello fellow computer persons!
>
>I am C-64 owner looking to buy another computer.  I have been looking
>at both the Atari ST and Amiga.  For the life of me I cannot figure
>out which one to get.  I will be using the computer for MIDI stuff;
>sequencing, patch editing and music software development.  I know the
>ST has the MIDI port built in and has more support, but is it really
>a better machine?  I am attracted to the Amiga because of it's
>multi-tasking operating system, but at the same time the ST is a
>lower cost machine (I think).  Any suggestions for a MIDI nut ?
>--
>Mar Tan
>GE Fanuc
>Charlottesville, VA

I read a review in Keyboard magazine that compared several micros for midi.
At that time(about 2 months ago) the author felt the best midi micro was
the Mac and the ST would probably become the Micro Midi of choice because
of cost and cability.  The author also wrote he was  disappointed
with his Amiga midi performance.  The Amiga multi-tasking seems to interfer
with the sequencing time stamp accuracy.

I do not own an Amiga and I do not have midi experience.  I am only
interpreting what I read.  Perhaps you can ask an Amiga owner.

Also, I have heard that Keyboard magazine advertisements
contain more ST's then any other micro.

Now, let's satisfy RN.
blank                                                               line
blank                                                               line
blank                                                               line
blank                                                               line
blank                                                               line
blank                                                               line
blank                                                               line
--
Gregory Gibson
{...ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!gibson

dean@hyper.UUCP (11/20/87)

in article <571@aucs.UUCP>, 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) says:
]
] I am not a MIDI expert by any means, but I do know the ST pretty good. All
] I can do is pass on what I and alot of other ST owners have learned. The ST
] is a very good computer, the support for the MIDI port is very good, I know
] that there is several very good software packages out for it, and most of
] them do not but "copy protection" in your way if you decide to use a hard disk
] like myself. You must remember that if you do get the "Amiba" you will have
] to dish out the extra bucks for the MIDI interface(if they have one??).
] Give the ST a look over, as ol'Jack says "Power without the Price".
] Also it is a known fact that the ST is by far more supported than the Amiga.
] Give the Amiga a look over as well, it is a nice machine.
] later
] Barry
]
> P.S. Good luck with whatever machine you by!!

	I just loooove this guy's "known fact".

	For those of you who aren't entirely familiar with the Amiga, the
above comments on ST software hold true for MIDI software on the Amiga as
well. Yes, there is a MIDI interface available for the Amiga.

						Dean C. Gahlon
						...ihnp4!umn-cs!hyper!dean

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <571@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
>I am not a MIDI expert by any means, but I do know the ST pretty good.

I am not an Amiga expert by any means, but I will attempt to balance
the previous discussion with some decent arguments *for* buying an Amiga.

>All
>I can do is pass on what I and alot of other ST owners have learned. The ST
>is a very good computer,

So is the Amiga, but these are both very personal judgements, so take
them as you like.

>the support for the MIDI port is very good, I know
>that there is several very good software packages out for it, and most of
>them do not but "copy protection" in your way if you decide to use a hard disk
>like myself. You must remember that if you do get the "Amiba" you will have
>to dish out the extra bucks for the MIDI interface(if they have one??).

These are good points.  The Atari folks had foresight in placing a
MIDI port on the machine, because they have secured a good portion of
the market.  However, both the Amiga as well as the Macinstosh can
control MIDI devices via the serial port, although an adapter (i.e.
not really an interface, although I am not sure about the MAC) will
need to be built.  In fact, I believe a design for one was mailed over
comp.sys.amiga a while ago.

As for copy protection, well, the Amiga has quite a few copy-protected
programs, as per the whims of the software producers.  Note, though,
that as with the ST, copy protection varies.  One can also buy a good
copy-protection-breaking program (another added cost...), but I am not
sure if this will allow installation of the program on a hard disk.
An annoying problem...

>Give the ST a look over, as ol'Jack says "Power without the Price".
>Also it is a known fact that the ST is by far more supported than the Amiga.
>Give the Amiga a look over as well, it is a nice machine.

"Power without the Price" is becoming a grey zone these days with the
introduction of the Amiga 500.  I believe that the ST is still priced
below the A500 (and it comes with a monitor as well), but with the
A500 running only $600 these days, the ST finally has some competition
in the 68000 market.  The statement that the ST is more supported than
the Amiga could be argued; they is a *lot* of public domain software
for the Amiga, which I would call support, and it seems to me that the
Commodore people on comp.sys.amiga are always there to answer
questions...it at least seems like a lot of support to me.  But that
is subjective.

Some general comments:

I think that if you want to play primarily with MIDI, the ST is the
way to go, because it seems (from what I have read on the AMIGA
newsgroup) the Atari has more and better MIDI software.  However, a
good friend has informed of a program recommended to him by two
musicians (and professional music software writers as well) called
SoundScape for the Amiga which is supposed to be real good.  I have no
idea what the program is like myself (I've never used it), but it
might be something you would want to look into.

If you really want multitasking, then the Amiga is the way to go.  The
OS was designed to be multitasking from the start, so it is easy and
efficient to use.  If you like graphics, I would venture to say that
you can't buy a better computer in the $600 price range than the
Amiga.  It is primarily a graphics computer, and has an incredible
amount of power in this area.  I've heard that the windowing-system on
the Amiga and the OS are generally better than the Atari's GEM system,
but not having used GEM, I cannot give a good comparison.  The Amiga
OS does have its bugs, so check out both.

And finally: in terms of a "well rounded" computer, my personal choice
between the two is the Amiga.  In terms of MIDI, the ST beats the
Amiga in both cost and price.  What you want will depend primarily on
what you want to use the machine for...

>later
>Barry
>
>P.S. Good luck with whatever machine you by!!

Agreed!  The above is not meant to be a flame of Atari's, or a praise
of Amiga's.  Both machines have their good points and bad points, so
talk with people who use both machines.  I hope you find the machine
that suits your needs best.

					-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

In article <3730@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.dsd.trw.com.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:
>The author also wrote he was  disappointed
>with his Amiga midi performance.  The Amiga multi-tasking seems to interfer
>with the sequencing time stamp accuracy.

Yes, early Amiga sound packages didn't know how to accurately time
stamp incoming  MIDI events.

They know now, and all is well.

>Also, I have heard that Keyboard magazine advertisements
>contain more ST's then any other micro.

Great criteria for choosing a computer...

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

mike@artsvax.UUCP (Michael Czeiszperger) (11/24/87)

In article <3730@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.dsd.trw.com.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson)
>The Amiga multi-tasking seems to interfer
>with the sequencing time stamp accuracy.

Actually, I tracked down this rumour to an article written in Keyboard
magazine last year by the president of Digidesign.  (I once posted the
issue and page number, but it didn't seem to make it out to netland)
In the article, he said that the Amiga had serious problems with time
stamping that preventing it from becoming a professional MIDI machine.
The same sentiment was repeated in another Keyboard column
months after that, and then spread throughout the country by word
of mouth.  I don't know if it is true or not, but that is who started
it all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael S. Czeiszperger      | Disclaimer: "Sorry, I'm all out of pith"
  Systems Programmer I	      | Smail: Room 406 Baker      (614)
   College of the Arts        |        1971 Neil Avenue      292-
     Computer Lab             |        Columbus, OH 43210     0895
The Ohio State University     | UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!osupyr!artsvax!mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (11/25/87)

In article <203@artsvax.UUCP> mike@artsvax.UUCP (Michael Czeiszperger) writes:
<In article <3730@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.dsd.trw.com.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson)
<>
<
< Actually, I tracked down this rumour to an article written in Keyboard
< magazine last year...
< ...I don't know if it is true or not, but that is who started
< it all.

As far as a user might see, it was true at one time.  It is no longer true.

			.period.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(

mph@rover.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <3730@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.dsd.trw.com.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:
>In article <1226@edison.GE.COM> mfs@edison.GE.COM (Martin Sant) writes:
>>Hello fellow computer persons!
>>
>>I am C-64 owner looking to buy another computer.  I have been looking
>>at both the Atari ST and Amiga.  For the life of me I cannot figure
>
>I read a review in Keyboard magazine that compared several micros for midi.
>At that time(about 2 months ago) the author felt the best midi micro was
>the Mac and the ST would probably become the Micro Midi of choice because
Well, as an Amiga owner and occasional developer, let me put my two
cents worth in.

Currently, the Atari machines have more software - they have been
around longer and were less expensive.  The new Amiga 500 probably are
comparable in price.

The multi-tasking in the Amiga does not neeed to interfer with Amiga
midi performance, although bozo software hacks who have written some
of the currently available Amiga software definitely do interfer with
performance.

The Amiga is somewhat more machine than the ST and probably will be
better for expansion over time.  If you just want to buy other
people's stuff then get an Atari or Mac.  If you would like to develop
your own software, the Amiga has far more potential - it is a more
difficult machine to program, however.

Mark Huth