[comp.sys.cbm] VT100 for C-128

jep@tlxprs.UUCP (Jo Poplawski) (12/11/87)

Hello. I have been actively searching for a VT100 or other terminal emulator
for the Commodore 128 computer in 80 column fast mode that will allow me to
use the VI editor on Unix/Xenix machines. I a have no problem with modifying
a termcap in order to do so. I currently have Bob's Term Pro 128 v1.3 which
is supposed to have full vt100 emulation, EXCEPT full screen editing which
when I called Progressive (the publisher), they said that it did not have
enough memory too add it. How can that be? The TRS-80 Model 2 can do it and
it only has 64K? Can anyone help me out? I would like to find something that
is either shareware or public domain if possible and something that does not
have to run under CPM if possible. I would be willing to pay for postage or
whatever if someone already has a program that would help me.

Thanks..

Jo Poplawski  (jep@tlxprs.UUCP)

sentinel@killer.UUCP (The Sentinel) (12/12/87)

In article <221@tlxprs.UUCP> jep@tlxprs.UUCP (Jo Poplawski) writes:
>Hello. I have been actively searching for a VT100 or other terminal emulator
>for the Commodore 128 computer in 80 column fast mode that will allow me to
>use the VI editor on Unix/Xenix machines. I a have no problem with modifying
>a termcap in order to do so. I currently have Bob's Term Pro 128 v1.3 which
>is supposed to have full vt100 emulation, EXCEPT full screen editing which
>when I called Progressive (the publisher), they said that it did not have
>enough memory too add it. How can that be? The TRS-80 Model 2 can do it and

    Hmm.  BTPro should work just fine.  It's VT-100 emulation is not complete,
but it can do a pretty good job emulating an ADM-31 or VT-52.  I use it on
various Unices all the time... since I've had it, I've developed a custom
terminal type based on the ADM-31, and set it up in the appropriate phonebook
macro file.
    It's not surprising BobsTerm has little memory left... it's easily one of
the most flexible and complex programs available for the 128.  VT-100 emulation
is a pretty complicated thing in itself.  So, Bob Lentini chose to do a more
general emulation facility which was not capable of doing full VT-100, but is
still adequate for emulating a somewhat simpler terminal.

>it only has 64K? Can anyone help me out? I would like to find something that
>is either shareware or public domain if possible and something that does not
>have to run under CPM if possible. I would be willing to pay for postage or
>whatever if someone already has a program that would help me.

    If you really want VT-100, try Kermit 2.1.   It's free, and does a superb
emulation of a VT-100, right down to the keypad and graphics characters.  It
actually runs in 64 mode, but uses the 128's keypad and 80 column screen.
However, BobsTerm should do just fine for what you seem to want to do...

G'day, eh?
--TS

--
Rob Tillotson				...ihnp4!killer!sentinel
3922-1 Newport Ave.				-or-