[comp.sys.cbm] Review of Jiffy/DOS

dedina@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (12/18/87)

czei@cdbkc1 writes:
> In January's issue of Electronic Musician, there was a quick review
> of the JiffyDOS/64 firmware quickload product for the C64.  It
> but it's real advantage is that it is supposedly
> 100% compatable with existing software.
> Has anyone had any experience with this product?

I've had JiffyDOS for about a year, and I like it quite a bit; as a
matter of fact, its hard to imagine now how I ever did without it.
However, as we all know, NOTHING is 100% compatible with existing
software.

First, the good stuff.  Jiffy/DOS isn't just a fastloader.  The best
thing about it in my mind is that is speeds up all disk access, not
just loads.  So any program which accesses the disk (and doesn't have
its own fastload software) will run quite a bit faster with Jiffy/DOS.
Also, it provides a number of useful wedge-like commands but with a
sensible syntax, like DIR, SCRATCH,FORMAT,TYPE, etc.  The
documentation is good, and they have a "compatability guarantee", or
at least they did a year ago when I bought it.  This means you can get
your money back if you have software which doesn't load with
Jiffy/DOS.  It works with almost all my software, so I wouldn't be
suprised if its compatible with over 99% of commercial software.

Now the bad stuff.  Jiffy/DOS has worked with all my software but the
Quantum-Link software.  Invoking the compatibility guarantee, I sent it
back with a description of the problem.  A few weeks later a new
Jiffy/DOS arrived.  The Q-Link problem had been fixed, and the
installation kit now included a switch which would switch off
Jiffy/DOS in case you ran into compatibility problems.  All was fine
for months.  However, I cancelled my Q-Link subscription and recently
restarted it, so I got a new Q-Link disk, and what do you know, the
new Q-Link disk won't run under Jiff/DOS.  Not only that, it won't run
with Jiffy/DOS switched off, either!  When I replaced the Jiffy/DOS
roms with the original roms, the Q-Link software worked.  Since I just
used Q-Link for about a month and then cancelled it again, I never
complained to GoodFellows (I think thats the name of the company, or
something similar).

One other negative thing.  This happens very rarely, but its still kind of
disturbing:  Sometimes when I issue a disk command, like DIR, the
drive just spins continuously and the C64 locks up.  I have no choice but
to reboot.  Since I have a reset button on my 64 and Jiffy/DOS provides
a built-in UNNEW command, this has never caused me to lose a program I
was entering.  However, like I said its disturbing.  Maybe GoodFellows
has fixed this bug by now; they seem to update Jiffy/DOS pretty regularly.

Anyway, overall I think its great.  It alleviates two of the worst problems
with the C64:  the worlds slowest disk drive, and weird, hard-to-remember
disk commands.
Mike Dedina
Indiana University Speech Research Lab
dedina@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

Disclaimer:  I have no association with GoodFellows, Inc.  I don't even
know if thats really their name.