[comp.sys.cbm] Amiga and MIDI

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (11/22/87)

I know for a fact that MIDI interfaces do exist for the Amiga, and for around
$50 (fifty) dollars.  Granted, the cheaper ones don't have a pass-thru, and
might even hog your printer port, but you CAN allow an Amiga to drive MIDI
stuff without a wallet transplant.

David Paulsen
...uunet.UU.NET!nuchat!seven
(713) 480-0114

"Take a deep breath upon impact.  This way, you have enough
 air to yell for help."

rodney@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (11/27/87)

In article <447@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>I know for a fact that MIDI interfaces do exist for the Amiga, and for around
>$50 (fifty) dollars.  Granted, the cheaper ones don't have a pass-thru, and
>might even hog your printer port, but you CAN allow an Amiga to drive MIDI
>stuff without a wallet transplant.

Just as an example, not an endorsement:

   From Skyles Electric Works: MIDI IN, 2 MIDI OUT, and MIDI THRU
                               for the Amiga.
                               $49.95 (Amiga 500 and 1000)
                               $59.95 (Amiga 2000)

   It plugs into the RS-232 port.

I think Mimetics also has a MIDI Interface with similar features and price.

Overall, I feel that the Amiga is by far a better computer, and that the 500
should settle and objections as to the price.

Of course, that's only my opinion, unlike the "fact" that the ST has more
support. :-)

>David Paulsen
>...uunet.UU.NET!nuchat!seven
>(713) 480-0114
>
>"Take a deep breath upon impact.  This way, you have enough
> air to yell for help."

NO WARRANTY EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED

Rodney Ricks,
  Systems Programmer,
  Atlanta University Center Computation Center

rex@otto.COM (Rex Jolliff) (11/28/87)

Expires:

In article <32160@auc.UUCP> rodney@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
>Just as an example, not an endorsement:
>
>   From Skyles Electric Works: MIDI IN, 2 MIDI OUT, and MIDI THRU
>   It plugs into the RS-232 port.
>
>I think Mimetics also has a MIDI Interface with similar features and price.

hmmm... This sounds pretty scary to me.  If the interface is built into the
computer, then the software developers don't have to worry about writing
'drivers' to support all the different interfaces with 'similar features'.
However, if you have to hook the interface up as an afterthought, only the
software supplied by the interface manufacturer may be compatable.

The MIDI port is already there on the ST, so the musician who wants to become
'computerized' can just go buy an ST, and just any piece of music software, and
he's ready to go.  This guy's gonna have enough problems trying to figure out
why the program won't do the same things to his Juno-106, that it does to his
Yamaha DX-7 (?).  He really shouldn't have to worry about why the progam won't
talk to either of them (read: why the program wont talk to the interface.).

>..., I feel that the Amiga is by far a better computer, ...

Lets not start another war, okay guys?

>Rodney Ricks,
>  Systems Programmer,
>  Atlanta University Center Computation Center

(Both of them are far better computers... 8-))
--

Rex Jolliff  (rex@otto.UUCP, {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,sdcrdcf}!otto!rex)
The Sun Newspaper -            |Disclaimer:  The opinions and comments in

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (11/29/87)

In article <528@otto.COM> rex@otto.UUCP (Rex Jolliff) writes:
>In article <32160@auc.UUCP> rodney@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
<>
<>I think Mimetics also has a MIDI Interface with similar features and price.
<
<hmmm... This sounds pretty scary to me.  If the interface is built into the
>computer, then the software developers don't have to worry about writing
<'drivers' to support all the different interfaces with 'similar features'.
<However, if you have to hook the interface up as an afterthought, only the
<software supplied by the interface manufacturer may be compatable.

Sorry, not this time.  The Amiga hardware supports MIDI, *all* these
manufacturers are supplying is the *connector*.  The software interface
is identical.  The only difference in some of the units as opposed to
others is the addition of MIDI THRU.

The midi.device work should ensure that in the future if non-compatible
interfaces *are* marketed, they will all talk with a clean, standard
multitasking interface.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(

pmy@boole.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (11/30/87)

In article <528@otto.COM>, rex@otto.COM (Rex Jolliff) writes:
] In article <32160@auc.UUCP> rodney@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
] >Just as an example, not an endorsement:
] >
]
] hmmm... This sounds pretty scary to me.  If the interface is built into the
] computer, then the software developers don't have to worry about writing
] 'drivers' to support all the different interfaces with 'similar features'.
] However, if you have to hook the interface up as an afterthought, only the
] software supplied by the interface manufacturer may be compatable.

Huh? Wait a minute. The interface is just a hunk of hardware that converts
RS-232 to MIDI current loop. There's no software compatibility problem...
it's just a connector, no intelligence whatsoever. Any program can drive it.

--
Pete Yadlowsky
Academic Computing Center

In article <21987@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
> The midi.device work should ensure that in the future if non-compatible
> interfaces *are* marketed, they will all talk with a clean, standard
> multitasking interface.

What midi.device work? I'd kill for a midi.device (as would many others).
Who's doing this?

--

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (12/01/87)

> >   From Skyles Electric Works: MIDI IN, 2 MIDI OUT, and MIDI THRU
> >
> >I think Mimetics also has a MIDI Interface with similar features and price.
>
> hmmm... This sounds pretty scary to me.  If the interface is built into the
> computer, then the software developers don't have to worry about writing
> 'drivers' to support all the different interfaces with 'similar features'.
> However, if you have to hook the interface up as an afterthought, only the
> software supplied by the interface manufacturer may be compatable.
>
> The MIDI port is already there on the ST, so the musician who wants to become
> 'computerized' can just go buy an ST, and just any piece of music software, and
> he's ready to go.  This guy's gonna have enough problems trying to figure out
> why the program won't do the same things to his Juno-106, that it does to his
> Yamaha DX-7 (?).  He really shouldn't have to worry about why the progam won't
> talk to either of them (read: why the program wont talk to the interface.).
>
> Rex Jolliff  (rex@otto.UUCP, {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,sdcrdcf}!otto!rex)

Let me put Mr. Jolliff's fears to rest.  The RS232 connection on the
back of the Amiga (500, 1000, 2000) is connected to a programmable UART
which accommodates a wide range of baud rates including that which MIDI
uses.  The Midi interfaces are really just a RS232 to MIDI adapter which
given that there are standards at both ends should no more a problem than
a cable which goes between your printer and your computer.  The interfaces
are just a matter of some hex buffers and optoisolators and 'features' like
pass-through or multiple outputs certainly have no affect on what
the program driving the interface sees.  A typical interface is very simple
consisting of less than $5 of parts.  He certainly could go buy an ST
but if the sole reason is fears of incompatibility from the MIDI interfaces
then he is being misguided by your information and you are certainly doing
him no favors in the department of making intelligent choices.

I will grant that there is more MIDI software available for the ST.
Now that a low cost Amiga has hit the streets I expect the Amiga MIDI
market will probably expand.  Rather than start the wars going I will keep
any comparisons of the machines to myself.  In the future you might consider,
however, that inaccurate speculation is one of the surest ways to cause
a furor.

David Albrecht

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (12/01/87)

In article <528@otto.COM> rex@otto.UUCP (Rex Jolliff) writes:
>hmmm... This sounds pretty scary to me.  If the interface is built into the
>computer, then the software developers don't have to worry about writing
>'drivers' to support all the different interfaces with 'similar features'.
>However, if you have to hook the interface up as an afterthought, only the
>software supplied by the interface manufacturer may be compatable.

	A MIDI interface is no more than an opto-isolator and a buffer. All
MIDI interfaces for the Amiga will be the same from a software point of view.
IT IS NOT AN AFTERTHOUGHT !!! The Amiga ROM kernel has ALWAYS supported the
MIDI data rate (somewhere between 31k & 32k baud). The flag for the serial
device is called SERB_RAD_BOOGIE and is documented in the Amiga ROM kernel
manual for vers 1.0!

	Incidentally, the Amiga hardware supports serial data rates up to
292000 baud, although it is pointed out that the software may not be able
to keep up with data at this speed. (RKM 1.0 p3-168)

	Finally, MIDI interfaces are dead easy to build and only cost about
$12 if you know where to pick up cheap parts (Active Surplus, Toronto;
Halted Specialties, Sunnyvale (I think)) The was an Amazing Computing article
about this just a short while ago.			...sjk
--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King

rex@otto.COM (Rex Jolliff) (12/08/87)

Expires:

Sheesh! The first 2 or 3 replies to my post would have sufficed, but I can see
that their is a good chance that I'll probably get a reply from every Amiga
owner on the face of this planet with netnews access.  I didn't mean for this
post to be a vicious flame, but all the Amiga owners obviously took it that
way.  Don't take it to be a direct attack on your machine.

This is what I was trying to say:

If a musician decides he should have a computer, not only to help him with
producing music, but also to handle some other simple things like keeping his
checkbook in balance, to replace his typewriter, and of course to play decent
games on; he should look at how simple the machine is to acquire, assemble, use
and maintain.  Having to worry about the midi level converter as an extra item
is not a problem with the ST.  They both have very user friendly interfaces,
although it's debatable which one is more user friendly.  Finally, as far as
the average musician is concerned, each machine is equally powerful (Read: they
both can play great music and great games!).  One final comment: I've noticed,
from talking to various musicians around here, that they usually are not very
concerned about the built-in sound capabilities of computers, but rather if
the computer can make their own perticular keyboards sing.

                                                            Rex.

--

Rex Jolliff  (rex@otto.UUCP, {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,sdcrdcf}!otto!rex)
The Sun Newspaper -            |Disclaimer:  The opinions and comments in
Nevada's Largest Daily Morning | this article are my own and in no way
Newspaper                      | reflect the opinions of my employers.
What happened to our superior space program?

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (12/14/87)

My two cents:
If MIDI is simple, a standard, and an important interface to have CBM ought to
build it into the A3000.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Bill Daggett, a.k.a. *Bilbo Baggins*   Recombinant Hobbit and Sysop of
    * Sometimes The Dragon Wins! *      Bilbo's Hideaway = 213-640-6104
 INTERNET: bilbo@pnet02.CTS.COM
     UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd }!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo

czei@cbdkc1.ATT.COM (Michael Czeiszperger) (12/15/87)

In article <2568@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>My two cents:
>If MIDI is simple, a standard, and an important interface to have CBM ought to
>build it into the A3000.

RS-232 is more of a standard than MIDI.  I'd rather have a plain, high
speed serial port, and be able to use it for other things besides MIDI.

Michael S. Czeiszperger     | "HELP!  I'm stuck in 3B HELL !!!"
Contracted to AT&T          | Phone: (614) 860-4952
Unix Systems Administration | UUCP: cbosgd!dkc1!czei
6200 E. Broad Street        | Disclaimer: "The above opinions are those
Columbus, OH   RM 1L334     |   of a large rodent with sharp teeth"

brianr@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (12/18/87)

Michael S Czeisperger: "...Midi is less of a standard than RS232..."

Oh, Noooo!  It can't be THAT bad, can it?

If only all the originators/promulgators of RS232 had just one neck,
and I could get my hands around it....

Brian Rhodefer

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (12/20/87)

In article <2267@tekig4.TEK.COM> brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) writes:
>If only all the originators/promulgators of RS232 had just one neck,
>and I could get my hands around it....

There is an RS-232 standard.  You can get it from (I think) the American
National Standards Institute.  I've got a copy somewhere around here
myself.  In that standard, everything having to do with an RS-232 interface
is defined, carefully, from the rise times of the signals to their meaning
to the pins and connectors they are supposed to go to.  If you've got to
wring anyone's neck, wring that of the 95% of the manufacturers who
decided that truly following the standard was too much of a pain in the
neck, so went off in their own direction, leaving us poor users to try
and patch up the differences.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

czei@cbdkc1.UUCP (12/21/87)

In article <2267@tekig4.TEK.COM> brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) writes:
>Michael S Czeisperger: "...Midi is less of a standard than RS232..."
>
>Oh, Noooo!  It can't be THAT bad, can it?

Oh, whoops!  I didn't really mean that!  I was trying to imply that
RS-232 is more of a general protocol that you'd want on a computer,
where MIDI is specialized so that it can only be used for music.  If
you had a computer with only MIDI ports, you wouldn't be able to easily
connect to a variety of generic hardware devices like printers and
digitizers, to name a few.  You are right that MIDI is a little more
defined that RS-232.

Michael S. Czeiszperger     | "HELP!  I'm stuck in 3B HELL !!!"
Contracted to AT&T          | Phone: (614) 860-4952  (formerly with Ohio
Unix Systems Administration | UUCP: cbosgd!dkc1!czei  State University)
6200 E. Broad Street        | Disclaimer: "The above opinions are those
Columbus, OH   RM 1L334     |   of a large rodent with sharp teeth"

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/23/87)

Yes, you can order pulication RS-232-C form Electronic Industries
Association, 2001 Eye Street, Wash DC 20006.  It is about 24 pages.
Back when I got mine about 10 years ago, it cost $5.10.

While going into excursiating detail about the elctrical
characteristics of the singals, it makes omits two useful items.
First the temporal relationships of control signals.  (It does say
which ones should be on/off simultaineously for certain
conditions.)  Actually, RS-334 defines the temporal reationships.
Second, RS-232-C says nothing about the physical design of
the connector beyond recommending that it have 25 pins.

Section Three says:
   3.1   The interface between the data terminal equipment and data
   communications equipment is located at a pluggable connector
   signal interface point between the two equipments.  The female
   connector shall be associated with, but not necessarily
   physically attached to the data communication equipment and
   should be mounted in a fixed position near the data terminal
   equipment.  The use of an extension cable on the data
   communication equipment is permitted. An extension cable with a
   male connector shall be provided with the data terminal
   equipment [Ha! --Bill].  The use of short cables (each less than
   approximately 50 feet or 15 meters) is recommended; however,
   longer cables are permissible, provided that the resulting load
   capacitance (CL of fig. 2.1), measured at the interface point
   and including the signal terminator, does not exceed 2500
   picofarads.

   3.1.1  When additional functions are provided in a separate unit
   inserted between the data terminal equipment and the data
   communication equipment (See section 1.7), the female connector,
   as indicated above shall be associated with the side of this
   unit which interfaces with the data terminal equipment while the
   extension cable with the male connector shall be provided on the
   side which interfaces with the data communication equipment.

That's it.  But Appendix I suggests:

                     Interface Connector

   While no industry standard exists which defines a suitable
   interface connector, it should be noted that commercial products
   are available which will perform satisfactorily as electrial
   connectors for interfaces specified in RS-232C, such as those
   connectors meeting Military Specification MIL-C-24308 (MS-18275)
   or quivalent.

   It is not intended that the above reference be considered as
   part of RS-232C or as a standard for the devices to which
   reference is made.

Holy avoiding the issue, Batman.

Ahhh, the beauty and simplicity of Midi cables.  One pin
arrangement, one set of allowable pins, one baud rate.

Enjoy the Holidays,
--Bill

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (12/24/87)

in article <467@gethen.UUCP>, farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) says:
> In article <2267@tekig4.TEK.COM> brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) writes:
>>If only all the originators/promulgators of RS232 had just one neck,
>>and I could get my hands around it....
>
> There is an RS-232 standard.  You can get it from (I think) the American
> National Standards Institute.  I've got a copy somewhere around here
> myself.  In that standard, everything having to do with an RS-232 interface
> is defined, carefully, from the rise times of the signals to their meaning
> to the pins and connectors they are supposed to go to.

Unfortunately, even if you adhere completely to the standard, half the devices
in the world still won't talk to you without a breakout-box or cable
switching. When the only devices extant were computers and terminals, that was
no big deal, but tell me, how about hooking up a terminal concentrator/network
node to printers, computers, terminals, .... We're talking BIG-time troubles
here, we're talking about cabling nightmares to end all nightmares, even if
the standard IS followed (and it usually isn't -- e.g. a switcher which
arbitrarily decides to ignore an outgoing line if certain transitions don't
occure at certain times, and a network node which refuses to give the switcher
those transitions -- thus FUbaring things horribly.).

I hated having to mutilate my cable to flop RxD and TxD when I hooked up an
Amiga to a C-64 to transfer files at 9600 baud (yes, there's some magic
involved :-).

--
Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET        Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg            Lafayette, LA 70509