[comp.sys.cbm] Video Upgrade

rp0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Roger Preisendefer, III) (12/19/87)

I have read about a video upgrade for the C128 which would give it 64k
of video RAM.  What does this do for the machine?

howie@pnet02.cts.com (Howard Herman) (12/21/87)

It upgrades your video information from its present 16k
to 64k, which in turn allows you to view on your monitor
Hi-Res graphics, and color information, that would not
otherwise be available.

I am making available to anyone who wants it everything
necessary for the upgrade for $13, including postage. This
would include two #4464's, properly rated, and made by Hitachi,
two matching IC sockets, and detailed installation instructions.
You should be familiar with soldering around PC boards to do this
yourself, else have a pro do it for you.  For the set, send your
check to: Howie Herman, 229 East 28th Street, New York, NY  10016.
Shipping will be by UPS, so please no PO Box for addresses.  Thanks.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!howie
INET: howie@pnet02.CTS.COM

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (12/26/87)

In article <2667@gryphon.CTS.COM>, howie@pnet02.cts.com (Howard Herman) writes:
 [about increasing your 128's video ram from 16K to 64K...]
> It upgrades your video information from its present 16k
> to 64k, which in turn allows you to view on your monitor
> Hi-Res graphics, and color information, that would not
> otherwise be available.
>
> Howie Herman, 229 East 28th Street, New York, NY  10016.
> UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!howie
> INET: howie@pnet02.CTS.COM

In addition to the added 80-column graphics capabilities mentioned here,
you can also keep extra character sets (fonts) in the added video ram, or
even use the extra memory as a ram disk.  Software to do the latter was
published in the Transactor Vol-7, Issue-1 (July 1986).

--
David Paulsen - CHARTER MEMBER, WILLIAM WINDOM FAN CLUB    ..uunet!nuchat!seven

"It had a maw that could swallow a DOZEN starships!"
      --Commodore Matt Decker, chewing on the scenery again