[comp.sys.cbm] 1700/1750 RAM expansions

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (12/11/87)

I've got a 1700 RAM expansion, intended for the Commodore 128.  After goofing
around with it for a few months, I've accumulated some questions I'm having
trouble getting answers for:

1. Where can I obtain a disk emulator for the thing, so that I can SAVE and
LOAD files to/from RAM just like DOS?  I had the impression that a utility like
that would come on the disk; it's really the reason I got it in the first
place.

2. I've heard that a 128K 1700 expansion cartridge can be upgraded to a 512K
1750 cartridge... true?  Difficult to do?

3. What chip is supposed to go in the "U18" location on the circuit board?
(Yes, I've already taken it apart!  Bye-bye warranty...)

4. Can more than one 1700/1750 be utilized at the same time, via a motherboard?
What does this do to the 128's power supply?

5. What's the difference between the 1700/1750 and the 1764, aside from the
new power supply?  I have already upgraded my old 64's p.s. to a huge mutha
9A regulated bench supply... does this mean I can just plug 'er in to the 64
without frying anything?

6. With the 1700 installed on a 128, I GO 64.  From 64 mode, the MMU doesn't
let me see any of the 128's memory beyond 1 64K page... can the REC, in the
1700, even in 64-mode, see the whole 128 memory map?

As far as "friendly" Ramdisk emulators, the kind that allow OPEN as well as
DLOAD and DSAVE, I've been working on one myself.  It utilizes the REC's swap
capabilities to switch out chunks of the 128's RAM so it appears to the o/s
that there's very little overhead to the ramdisk software.  My actual overhead
is a little over 300 bytes, allowing about 11K of "actual" ramdisk support
software to be swapped in as needed.  It even works with most interrupt-driven
utilities, as long as they put the vector back where they found it, or pass
it thru... other than that, it's totally transparent.

Anyone doing anything with their 1700/1750's?

--
David Paulsen            ...uunet.UU.NET!nuchat!seven

"Commodore VIC-20... the wonder computer of the 80's!"

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (12/15/87)

In article <465@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:

>I've got a 1700 RAM expansion, intended for the Commodore 128.  After goofing
>around with it for a few months, I've accumulated some questions I'm having
>trouble getting answers for:
>
>1. Where can I obtain a disk emulator for the thing, so that I can SAVE and
>LOAD files to/from RAM just like DOS?  I had the impression that a utility like
>that would come on the disk; it's really the reason I got it in the first
>place.

The RAMDOS is now shipping with the 1700/1750/1764's. It has been for
sometime now ( a few months ). Suggest you find a user group, or a
dealer with the disk, and copy it. The binary is in the public domain.

>2. I've heard that a 128K 1700 expansion cartridge can be upgraded to a 512K
>1750 cartridge... true?  Difficult to do?

Yes, this is easy ( if the rams are not soldered in ). All you need to
cut open J1, and replace all the rams with 41256-15 types.

>3. What chip is supposed to go in the "U18" location on the circuit board?
>(Yes, I've already taken it apart!  Bye-bye warranty...)

That is for a rom. We are not shipping the unit with a rom.

>4. Can more than one 1700/1750 be utilized at the same time, via a motherboard?
>What does this do to the 128's power supply?

It is our official policy that only one thing can be inserted in the
cartridge slot at any time. Lots of people do not listen to us. :-)

As for 1700/1750/1764s, this would be a really bad idea. The power
supplied with the system is NOT sufficient to power two ram expansions.

>5. What's the difference between the 1700/1750 and the 1764, aside from the
>new power supply?  I have already upgraded my old 64's p.s. to a huge mutha
>9A regulated bench supply... does this mean I can just plug 'er in to the 64
>without frying anything?

They are essentially identical. There is a single resistor which must
be removed for use with a 64. This is R4. On a C64 R4 must be removed.
On a C128, R4 must be installed.

Understand that we cannot condone your power supply with our equipment.
It sounds ok, but we warrent nothing with regard to that usage of your
equipment.

>6. With the 1700 installed on a 128, I GO 64.  From 64 mode, the MMU doesn't
>let me see any of the 128's memory beyond 1 64K page... can the REC, in the
>1700, even in 64-mode, see the whole 128 memory map?

No.

>As far as "friendly" Ramdisk emulators, the kind that allow OPEN as well as
>DLOAD and DSAVE, I've been working on one myself.  It utilizes the REC's swap
>capabilities to switch out chunks of the 128's RAM so it appears to the o/s
>that there's very little overhead to the ramdisk software.  My actual overhead
>is a little over 300 bytes, allowing about 11K of "actual" ramdisk support
>software to be swapped in as needed.  It even works with most interrupt-driven
>utilities, as long as they put the vector back where they found it, or pass
>it thru... other than that, it's totally transparent.

This is how ours works, although the stats are slightly different. We
use a single page for the "link" and swap about 8k of code. Our
code should be transparent in the same way yours is. ( Betcha its better
:-) ).

>Anyone doing anything with their 1700/1750's?

They seem to sell well, so people are using them for something.

>--
>David Paulsen            ...uunet.UU.NET!nuchat!seven
>
>"Commodore VIC-20... the wonder computer of the 80's!"

Hedley Davis

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (12/23/87)

In article <2943@cbmvax.UUCP>, hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) writes:
> In article <465@nuchat.UUCP> seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) writes:
>>
>>I've got a 1700 RAM expansion, intended for the Commodore 128.
>>
>>1. Where can I obtain a disk emulator for the thing, so that I can SAVE and
>>LOAD files to/from RAM just like DOS? I had the impression that a utility like
>>that would come on the disk; it's really the reason I got it in the first
>>place.
>>

> The RAMDOS is now shipping with the 1700/1750/1764's. It has been for
> sometime now ( a few months ). Suggest you find a user group, or a
> dealer with the disk, and copy it. The binary is in the public domain.

That's what I was hoping you'd say.  Unfortunately, the user groups I've
contacted didn't have it, and I can't locate any knowledgeable dealers in the
Houston area.  Granted, I only recently moved here, but the dealers I've
visited looked at me funny when I explained what I was after.  What's the
chances of getting a copy from Commodore themselves, or failing that, the
address/phone of a dealer SOMEPLACE who knows what a 1700 Ram expansion is?

Is there anyone out there in netland with Q-Link access who already has this
program?  I'd be willing to send you a disk, return postage paid, or even
reimburse the download charges... I've really got to have that ramdisk
emulator.

Thanks in advance!

--
David Paulsen - CHARTER MEMBER, WILLIAM WINDOM FAN CLUB    ..uunet!nuchat!seven

"It had a maw that could swallow a DOZEN starships!"
      --Commodore Matt Decker, chewing on the scenery again

bs@pbhye.UUCP (Bruce J. Skelly) (12/29/87)

 In article <2943@cbmvax.UUCP>, hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) writes:

> The RAMDOS is now shipping with the 1700/1750/1764's. It has been for
> sometime now ( a few months ). Suggest you find a user group, or a
> dealer with the disk, and copy it. The binary is in the public domain.
	If the binary is in the public domain,  could some one that has it
	please uuencode it and post it to the net.

	Thanks --  Bruce Skelly