[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 and GEOS 128

dave@zehntel.uucp (Dave Funk) (01/15/88)

A couple of months ago, I tried using GEOS 128 with my 1581 drive.  I had all
kinds of strange problems.  Often, GEOS would crash just after an attempted
write to the 1581 forcing a reboot.  Yuck.

I thought I would share my experience for those of you in the same boat.

The manual asks you to boot up with the 1541 (device 8), run a configure
program, and then turn on the other drive when asked.  The second drive
is supposed to be powered up as device 8 (apparently, the configure
program then changes it to device 9 via software).  [They also state
that you can power up the second drive as device 9, but I never tried
that -- until later].

I wrote a letter to Berkeley Softworks outlining my problem.  After *five
weeks* (so much for their promise of prompt replies via mail), I got a form
letter reply.  They now suggest that you turn on both drives before booting
GEOS (the 1541 as device 8, the 1581 as device 9).  Both drives then appear
as icons after booting.  That seemed to solve my problems.

Their letter goes on to say that they are planning to make GEOS 64 compatible
with the 1581 (I guess it presently isn't).  They also are NOT planning on
releasing GEOS on a 3.5" diskette (rats!).

Dave Funk			 ....!ucbvax!zehntel!dave
Zehntel, Inc.			 ....!decvax!sytek!zehntel!dave
2625 Shadelands Drive		 ...."zehntel!dave"@BERKELEY
Walnut Creek, CA  94598		 (415) 932-6900 x309

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (01/20/88)

In article <391@zehntel.UUCP> dave@zehntel.uucp (Dave Funk) writes:
>A couple of months ago, I tried using GEOS 128 with my 1581 drive.  I had all
>kinds of strange problems.  Often, GEOS would crash just after an attempted
>write to the 1581 forcing a reboot.  Yuck.

Using a 1581, I got crashes on GEOS 128 any time I exited from GeoWrite.
Something like "System error at $8787" and hit the reset button.  Plus, if I
tried to create a file using the dialog box's "Create" button, it would think
a minute, then return to the dialog box.  Since the 1581 has gone to the shop
for a new controller chip, GEOS has worked just fine.

GeoPaint would exit properly -- sometimes.  It also works with the 1581 gone.

>[Berkeley suggests] that you turn on both drives before booting
>GEOS (the 1541 as device 8, the 1581 as device 9).  Both drives then appear
>as icons after booting.  That seemed to solve my problems.

This all happened with both drives on before booting.  I'm hoping the controller
repair is going to clear this thing up.

	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

"Little guy, little hands, little eyes and lots of time
 What you gonna be, what you gonna see
 When your eyes are level with mine?"
			-- Moody Blues