[comp.sys.cbm] 1750 REU RAMdisk

dave@zehntel.uucp (Dave Funk) (01/14/88)

I finally managed to locate and purchase a 1750 REU for my C128, which
wasn't easy.  All the vendors who don't have it claim that Commodore
has discontinued the product.  Any truth to this?

I seem to recall some discussion on the net about RAMdisk software being
available for the REU's.  Does anybody remember where/how to get it?  I
also seem to vaguely recall that such software is supposed to be on the
disk shipped with the unit.  Not true in my case.  All I got was one
disk - one side is CP/M 3.0 (which recognizes the REU as drive 'M:'); the
other side contains a RAM test and some demo programs, but no RAMdisk.

By the way, CP/M becomes a whole lot easier to use if you copy the entire
CP/M disk into the 1750.  Since drive 'M:' is all RAM, it is *fast*.
Dave Funk			 ....!ucbvax!zehntel!dave
Zehntel, Inc.			 ....!decvax!sytek!zehntel!dave
2625 Shadelands Drive		 ...."zehntel!dave"@BERKELEY
Walnut Creek, CA  94598		 (415) 932-6900 x309

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (01/21/88)

In article <389@zehntel.UUCP>, dave@zehntel.uucp (Dave Funk) writes:
> I finally managed to locate and purchase a 1750 REU for my C128, which
> wasn't easy.  All the vendors who don't have it claim that Commodore
> has discontinued the product.  Any truth to this?

	No.

> I seem to recall some discussion on the net about RAMdisk software being
> available for the REU's.  Does anybody remember where/how to get it?

	As older inventory is replaced by new,  so too will the old
	test/demo disk be replaced by a new one, with C64/128 versions
	of the RAMdisk on it.  The latest RAMdisk (version 4.3) has been
	uploaded to places like QuantumLink, GEnie, Plink (I think), etc.
	I know that several of the newer demos are available from Q-Link.
	If there is a user group near you, you can probably get a copy
	there.  I believe it may also be in TPUG's library by now, too.
	The files were deemed too large to post here on usenet.
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{ihnp4|rutgers|caip}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@RUTGERS.EDU
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380