[comp.sys.cbm] kermit for c-128

seeley@dalcsug.UUCP (Geoffrey Seeley) (01/13/88)

I would like to know what the latest version of Kermit is for the Commodore 128
and if anyone out there is willing to UUENCODE it and send me a copy, or
could post it to the net. If this is not possible, could someone tell me
where I can download a copy of this program.

						Thanks,
						Geoff Seeley
						(seeley@dalcsug)

voyles@silver.bacs.indiana.edu ([ Aaron Voyles ]) (01/14/88)

In article <267@dalcsug.UUCP> seeley@dalcsug.UUCP (Geoffrey Seeley) writes:
>I would like to know what the latest version of Kermit is for the Commodore 128
>and if anyone out there is willing to UUENCODE it and send me a copy, or
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>could post it to the net. If this is not possible, could someone tell me
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>where I can download a copy of this program.
>
>						Thanks,
>						Geoff Seeley
>						(seeley@dalcsug)

I would be interested too!

Aaron

-----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------
Aaron Voyles   Indiana University, Bloomington       |  What would  happen
   UUCP:  voyles@silver.bacs.indiana.edu             |  if the whole world
 BITNET:  voyles@iubacs                              |  farted  at   once?
-----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (01/15/88)

in article <608@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, voyles@silver.bacs.indiana.edu ([  Aaron Voyles  ]) says:
> In article <267@dalcsug.UUCP> seeley@dalcsug.UUCP (Geoffrey Seeley) writes:
>>and if anyone out there is willing to UUENCODE it and send me a copy, or
>>could post it to the net. If this is not possible, could someone tell me

I don't think it would be wise. There are not too many C64/C128 people
on the net, and making the entire net carry $$$$$ worth of
UUENCODE'ed software for 5 or 6 people sounds pretty silly.

Try your local BBS's and user groups. If that's not possible, contact the guys
at Dr. Evil Labs (Purdue).  Don't ask me for address, alas :-{.

--
Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET     Asimov Cocktail,n., A verbal bomb
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg              detonated by the mention of any

ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) (01/16/88)

Hello!

    I am the author of Commodore-64/Commodore-128 Kermit Version 2.0  (soon
Kermit 2.1)

In article <2917@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>I don't think it would be wise. There are not too many C64/C128 people
>on the net, and making the entire net carry $$$$$ worth of
>UUENCODE'ed software for 5 or 6 people sounds pretty silly.
>
>Try your local BBS's and user groups. If that's not possible, contact the guys
>at Dr. Evil Labs (Purdue).  Don't ask me for address, alas :-{.

    Unfortunatly, Eric, you are quite right.  Kermit is a bit big to post to
the net.  I don't want to mail it to somebody if I can mail it to everybody,
and I just can't do that.

    The address you are looking for is:

		Dr. Evil Laboratories
		P.O. Box 190
		St. Paul, IN 47272

    Please include $5.00 (US funds) to cover the costs of the disk, the mailer,
and postage.  The program itself is free.

    If you don't want to spend $5.00, there are many other ways to get this
program.  Since it is public domain, you can copy it from a friend.  If you
have access to the ARPA net, you can use anonymous ftp to get the files from
cu20b.columbia.edu  (You want ker:c64v2.hex).  If you are on BITNET, you can
get the files from KERMSRV@CUVMA (type "tell kermsrv at cuvma help").  If you
dont mind paying dialup charges, you can get the files from Oklahoma State
University (I don't know how, but I can find out if anyone has any interest).

    Also, many people have posted Kermit to their favorite bulletin boards (I
believe Qlink has a copy).

                                        Ray Moody
                                         ray@j.cc.purdue.edu
                                         ihnp4!pur-ee!j.cc.purdue.edu!ray
                                         moody@purccvm.BITNET

P.S.
    If any of you have a favorite feature that you want added to Kermit 2.1,
you better send me mail soon or hold your peace until Kermit 2.2.

cs64wes@sdcc14.UUCP (OUSLEY) (01/18/88)

In article <2917@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>I don't think it would be wise. There are not too many C64/C128 people
>on the net, and making the entire net carry $$$$$ worth of
>UUENCODE'ed software for 5 or 6 people sounds pretty silly.

  I can't believe you said that!  What do you think this conference
  is here for?  The only decent posting I have ever read is the
  wordwrap killing program.  I thought, finally something useful!

    Here's why I'm posting this:  I think that you are not only
  wrong, but WAY wrong.  Perhaps we could take a poll of all the
  c-64 and c-128 users out there...   Care to comment?

                                     -Jonathon Chance

     {I have given you the power!}     {Who is number one?   }
     {Do you understand?         }     {You are number six.  }
     {I have given you the power }     {I am NOT a number !  }
     {of the Q!   Use it.        }     {I am a FREE MAN!     }

	   {I have seen attack ships burning off the shores}
	   {                 of Orion...                   }

billr@phred.UUCP (Bill Robicheaux) (01/18/88)

This is the first time I've posted anything to the net. I hope I don't offend
anyone.

In article <2917@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>I don't think it would be wise. There are not too many C64/C128 people
>on the net, and making the entire net carry $$$$$ worth of
>UUENCODE'ed software for 5 or 6 people sounds pretty silly.

I assure you there are many C64/C128 users such as myself that read and use the
programs that come across the net.  There are fewer people who contribute on a
regular basis.  Thanks to everyone on the net for your tips.  I bought a C64 a
few years ago to learn programming.  Since then, I've run assembly, Fourth,
Pascal, and C (compliments to C-Power) on this inexpensive little machine.  It
has served it's purpose well.

I agree a program such as Kermet is too big to post when it can be obtained in
other ways.

BTW Eric, this fellow Cajun was originally from New Iberia. Yup, I went to USL.

							Bill Robicheaux

Standard Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed are mine and do not represent
		      those of my employer.

jem97@leah.Albany.Edu ( Jim Mower) (01/19/88)

In article <6180@j.cc.purdue.edu>, ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) writes:

>     I am the author of Commodore-64/Commodore-128 Kermit Version 2.0  (soon
> Kermit 2.1)...
>     If any of you have a favorite feature that you want added to Kermit 2.1,
> you better send me mail soon or hold your peace until Kermit 2.2.

I am a satisfied user of Kermit 2.0.  Could you summarize the features
you have been working on for version 2.1 that are additions to version
2.0?

And, since you asked, I would like to see a command in 2.1 similar to
the 'hangup' command in version 2.29c for the PC version.  In order to
return to the data switch after logging off one computer, I frequently
need to physically disconnect the phone line.

Jim Mower, Dept. of Geography and Regional Planning
jem97@leah.albany.edu

bowen@sunybcs.uucp (Devon E Bowen) (01/19/88)

In article <338@sdcc14.UUCP> cs64wes@sdcc14.UUCP (Chance, Jonathon) writes:
>In article <2917@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>>I don't think it would be wise. There are not too many C64/C128 people
>>on the net, and making the entire net carry $$$$$ worth of
>>UUENCODE'ed software for 5 or 6 people sounds pretty silly.
>
>    Here's why I'm posting this:  I think that you are not only
>  wrong, but WAY wrong.  Perhaps we could take a poll of all the
>  c-64 and c-128 users out there...   Care to comment?

While Kermit is one of the best and most useful programs (thanks Ray) I
have seen for the C-64, I'd have to say that USENET is *definitely* not
the place for it. This site takes all the USENET newsgroups. This currently
takes up 50 Meg on our disks. If everyone did what you're suggesting, we
have to devote multiple paritions just to news. And not only this site
would have to do that, but *all* of them would. This is why the comp.sources.*
are moderated.

And then there's the costs of the communications. A significant chunk of
news is still transfered through modems and long distance links. And we're
talking about thousands of calls made (usually) every night. This stuff isn't
free.

Add on to this the fact that uuencoding increases a file size by 33% and
it's pretty obvious that it's much easier for those that want it to send $5
to Dr. Evil's Lab. I did.

By the way, Ray, are you going to be adding features to take advantage of
the 128's addition of keys? I've got all these extra keys that I can't use!
That's my biggest complaint.

				    Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
				    University of Buffalo

uucp:	   ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!bowen
Internet:  bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU
BITNET:    bowen@sunybcs.BITNET

cs64wes@sdcc14.UUCP (OUSLEY) (01/21/88)

  Okay, I have to address this.  It seems that EVERYBODY misread
  my message.  Try reading what's actually there, not what you
  think you see between the lines.

  I said NOTHING about Kermit!  Okay?  Please do me the favor
  of reading it again, and stop flaming me for what I didn't say.
  Thank you for being so considerate.
                                     -Jonathon Chance

     {I have given you the power!}     {Who is number one?   }
     {Do you understand?         }     {You are number six.  }
     {I have given you the power }     {I am NOT a number !  }
     {of the Q!   Use it.        }     {I am a FREE MAN!     }

	   {I have seen attack ships burning off the shores}
	   {                 of Orion...                   }

relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) (01/21/88)

Are you sure that kermit V2.0 would be too large to post?  I'm pretty sure
I've seen larger postings on pc newsgroups.

Rob Elkins
--
ARPA:   relkins@vax1.acs.udel.edu
BITNET: FFO04688 AT ACSVM

Live Long and Prosper!

seeley@dalcsug.UUCP (Who? me? name? ah...) (01/23/88)

In article <588@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
> Are you sure that kermit V2.0 would be too large to post?  I'm pretty sure
> I've seen larger postings on pc newsgroups.

I am asking myself the same question. I have checked all the local bulletin
boards for KERMIT V2.0 and it is nowhere to be found. I don't have access to
Q-Link or Compuserve and I don't know anybody who does. So, due to these
facts, I too wish to know if kermit is really to large to post.

Anyone?
--
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+| Mail replys, questions,  | "Yes... Now you too can turn off lights with your ||      or money to:        |  toes. Just five easy lessons." -from my iron-    ||                          |       skulled friend who has head-butted one too  ||  seeley@dalcsug.uucp     |       many parking meters and brick walls.        |+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (01/24/88)

in article <588@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) says:
> Are you sure that kermit V2.0 would be too large to post?  I'm pretty sure
> I've seen larger postings on pc newsgroups.

Take a look at the Arbitron ratings for comp.sys.cbm, then compare those with
the Arbitron ratings for, say, comp.sys.ibm-pc. We're talking about 10 times
more readers in the latter newsgroup... 10 times more people paying the bills
for moving news around. Not to mention that just about everybody paying the
bills has an IBM PC... while I know of no one who can afford to pay for USENET
bills, who owns a Commodore 64 (with the exception of the guys who run machine
"cbmvax", of course :-).

Another thing is the general network policy on source vs. binaries. The source
to kermit is over 165K long, and is useless unless you have a certain
assembler running on a Unix system. The binaries aren't tiny, themselves...
I'd guesstimate that we're talking 35K or so, which, uuencoded, would have to
be broken up into two files -- not an easy thing to handle.