[comp.sys.cbm] 1670 modem: How to dis-able when NOT using terminal program???

pete@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Pete Hsi ) (01/25/88)

This may have happened to you too:

You are running a program on your C64 with your 1670 modem plugged in.  The
phone rings. But before you can pick-up the phone, the modem auto-answers
the phone. Meanwhile the caller, thinking there is a malfunctionn in the
phone lines, hangs-up. You are ready to tear your hair out (well at least I
am).

QUESTION:
How do you disable the modem? I do not wish to physically disconnect the
modem because it's extra wear and tear on the equipment. Remember, I am not
running a terminal program.

I'll take any solutions: everything from software (provide lines of code)
to building a switch box (provide schematics). By the way, my friend's IBM
clone and Hayes-compatible modem does this too.

Thanks in advance
--Pete
Univs. of Maryland Baltimore County  (UMBC == "U Must Be Crazee" :-)
    ARPA: pete@umbc3.umd.edu  -or-  pete@umbc2.umd.edu
    Bitnet: pete@umbc
Disclaimer: "It was only just a joke!"

chanst@atrium.UUCP (Steve T Chan) (01/27/88)

In article <741@umbc3.UMD.EDU>, pete@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Pete Hsi ) writes:

> This may have happened to you too:
>
> QUESTION:
> How do you disable the modem? I do not wish to physically disconnect the
> modem because it's extra wear and tear on the equipment. Remember, I am not
> running a terminal program.

You can't, and you do not need to physically disconnect the modem. Go to
Radio Shack, get one of their phone silencer switches, hook it up between
the phone jack and your modem.  I don't remember which end you plug it in
to, just plug it in, if the modem still picks up, reverse the sides and
you should be fine.  The phone silencer switches is one of those phone
cables with a switch in the middle.  No assembly necessary, just plug
it in like a regular phone cord, now if you are not using that modem,
turn the switch to OFF and it won't pick up the phone.

> I'll take any solutions: everything from software (provide lines of code)
> to building a switch box (provide schematics). By the way, my friend's IBM
> clone and Hayes-compatible modem does this too.

Well, there is a software solution if you don't get the silencer switch. (I
strongly recommend getting the switch because its easier that way) Here's
a small program which disables your modem software-wise, you will have to
run it everytime you switch on your computer..

	10 OPEN 2,2,5,CHR$(6):REM 300 BAUD 8,N,1
        20 PRINT#2,"at s0=0";CHR$(13):REM PLEASE NOTE THAT 'ATS0=0' MUST BE IN
                                      LOWER CASE
        30 CLOSE 2

As I said, this is just a temporary solution, get the switch.
Oh, and tell your IBM friend to get one too.

| Steve Chan                       UUCP/ARPA: gatech!petro!atrium!chanst |
| @ Atrium @ The Alamo                                                   |
| San Antonio, Texas                                                     |
| 'If you put your minds to it, you could accomplish anything!' - Doc    |