[comp.sys.cbm] #1571

howie@pnet02.cts.com (Howard Herman) (01/29/88)

In article alex@.UUCP <...!psuvax1!gallua.bitnet!11tstark> (Alex Laney/Tim
Stark) writes:

>   Last December, I used my commodore 128 with my 1571 disk drive. I tried
>copy my file to other diskette by using PIP A:=E:<file>. pip loaded and
>run then it tried to copy it and it gave me fatal error message:
>ERROR: I/O DISK ERROR. I tried copy a file again and it gave me the same
>message. I turned off and on my commodore 128. I tried to dir my normal
>diskette. 1571 displayed green led brief. I tried to type PRINT DS$ and
>it gave me that 71, DRIVE NOT READY, 00, 00 but diskette already is in.
>
>   I took my 1571 to repair shop. The techinaian said that 1571 have
>bad machinism defective and head defective. It costs me $130.

After two years of use one of my #1571's did the same thing.  I recalled a FOG

article about an Ossie that did the same thing, and the author's solution.  I
got out my "red" and "blue" stereo contact cleaner, removed the corrosion and
cleaned the pins on the serial plugs to the #1571.  Replugged everything, and
my #1571 has been humming along happily ever since.  It took five minutes, and

cost nothing. Cleaning the serial contacts is now part of my annual
maintenance
schedule.  [BTW, if you want #1571's and #1581's that run so quiet that you do

not even know they are working, use a light silicon or teflon (from Radio
Shack) based oil on the head tracks, as part of routine maintenance.  It will
make your drives as quiet as a RAM Disk, almost.]

Howie Herman

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!howie
INET: howie@pnet02.cts.com

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (02/02/88)

In article <2324@gryphon.CTS.COM>, howie@pnet02.UUCP writes:
> [BTW, if you want #1571's and #1581's that run so quiet that you do
> not even know they are working, use a light silicon or teflon (from Radio
> Shack) based oil on the head tracks, as part of routine maintenance.  It will
> make your drives as quiet as a RAM Disk, almost.]
>
> Howie Herman
>
> UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!howie

I use Tri-Flow, a Teflon lube that can be obtained at many
hardware stores and bicycle shops (an excellent chain lube).  I
found TriFlow to work better than the Silicon grease I had used
previously.  You have to be careful not to spray the stuff where
you shouldn't.  I will spray some on the shank of a screwdriver
and then let the resulting drop fall onto the part being lubed.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

   ihnp4!mibte!jbh   or try   ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh